Thread: Plaque using CarveWright Probe ...

Plaque using CarveWright Probe ...

Ted Grinnell scanned this scene with the new scanner probe available for the CarveWright machine. He allowed us to use it, so I made it extra large. It's on red oak, and is 12" X 24". I think the quailty turned out great. I know cherry or maple will cut cleaner, but I had this on hand. It'll be up to the wife to tell me how she would like the finish. I guess I'll have to get me a scanner now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Looks very nice from the photo - how long to carve?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker
    Looks very nice from the photo - how long to carve?
    Frank ... it took 3 1/2 hours to carve for the 12" X 24" size and at the best bit utilization setting.
    Thanks, Ron

Ron, That's great. When you say scanned, was the original 2D artwork that gets converted to Z depth depending on gray level, or was it originally a 3D object that was digitized and copied in XY and Z?
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Boone
    Ron, That's great. When you say scanned, was the original 2D artwork that gets converted to Z depth depending on gray level, or was it originally a 3D object that was digitized and copied in XY and Z?

Bruce

CW came out with a digital probe which is used to actually "scan" in 3-D. I also bought one but have yet to even plug it in or load software, ......someday 'tho I'll have more time to play with all my toys

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden
    Bruce

CW came out with a digital probe which is used to actually "scan" in 3-D. I also bought one but have yet to even plug it in or load software, ......someday 'tho I'll have more time to play with all my toys

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce ... yeah ... what he said.
    Thanks, Ron

It took 3.5 hrs to carve 12 x 24. How large was the original, how long to scan and what's the resolution of the probe/software? I'll assume the file is scaleable.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus
    It took 3.5 hrs to carve 12 x 24. How large was the original, how long to scan and what's the resolution of the probe/software? I'll assume the file is scaleable.
    Mitchell,
    This is from their website ...

The CarveWright scanning probe opens up the world of 3D scanning to anyone. Now you can reproduce original pieces, repair antique furniture even copy trim and moldings with ease. Almost any material can be scanned even soft materials such as clay or wax. Scanning resolution up to .005 inches are possible. Just plug the probe into the CarveWright, set the desired scan area, and watch the CarveWright go to work. With the included CarveWright Import software you can manipulate the 3D output to meet your needs.

• reproduce original pieces
    • repair antique furniture
    • copy trim and moldings
    • resolution up to .005 inches
    • Scans almost any materiall even soft
    • materials such as clay or wax

The original was 10" long by 6" wide. The file is scaleable and the detail was very good for this type of machine. This is from the original scanner "This took 13 1/2 hrs to scann in and took up 3400 kp or 1/2 of the card." so it must be pretty detailed.
    Last edited by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA; 01-31-2007 at 7:59 AM.
    Thanks, Ron

13-1/2 Hrs.!! Yeow!

Can it be exported in a format that other software can use? Like shades of gray in a bitmap, or a 3D file format like DXF?

It would be interesting to try lasering in 3D using a shape scanned from a physical object.
    Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

Ed Newbold Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
    The CarveWright scanning probe opens up the world of 3D scanning to anyone...
    Didn't someone last month mention that this machine is also available from Sears? What was the sears brand name for it? I'm also wondering if Sears carries this probe.

Cheers,

Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

MAN, the reviews of this product on the above web site are really, really bad!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Nichols View Post
    MAN, the reviews of this product on the above web site are really, really bad!!!!!!!!!
    Danny, most of that discussion was over a year ago. There had been more dicussion in the CNC forum, but if you really want to check out what people say about it, go to the carvewright web page and select forums.

nathan

Sears and LHR the maker of CarveWright / Compucarve have had a little falling out at the moment. Nothing firm but if you want one contact www.carvewright.com directly. 800-573-1226

I have 2 and I am very happy with them. All this was done with it.

AL

I post under digitalwoodshop on the Carvewright forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 04-21-2008 at 1:39 PM.

Al,

You always do great work. I'm very happy with my Carvewright, (but sssshhhh, we are in the wrong forum)