Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished Powder Horn turnings ...

Finished Powder Horn turnings ...

Here are the completed turnings assembled on the powder horn I finished today. It sure is fun to be able to design and then turn your own plugs and tips. I went with a high gloss finish, walnut plug and tip, brass acorn filler and brass nails. After hours of scraping, sanding, buffing and polishing, there's not a finish mark on it! I wish I could finish my other turnings as well. It's sealed with beeswax before assembly to make it moisture tight. Now to determine what to scrimshaw on it. I want to do the next one with turned antler tips. Thanks for looking.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Jaw hits ground in drool stuppor!!!

I love it!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

I decided to go with just a plain dark leather strap to try to match the walnut pieces.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

That is simply gorgeous... I love it! That would definitely be something to be proud of hanging over your fireplace. How long did that take you and where did you get the horn??
    You really did an outstanding job!!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

That is beautiful. We just dehorned calves this week early, yearlings so not even a third that size (thank goodness). Great job and it is amazing what possibilities open up by owning/using a lathe.

Wow Ron! Absolutely beautiful work! You must love what you are doing as it really shows in your design and finish! Seriously nice work!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Spafford
    How long did that take you and where did you get the horn??
    The raw horns I have now, I bought from Curt Wilburn at Friendship, Indiana during the NMLRA National Shoot, before I moved to Virginia. I still have a stash to work with. You can find some at Track-Of-The-Wolf on line if you want. It takes me about 16 hours to complete a horn, from rough to polished. Then it depends on how much scrimshaw I do. I have one with a map of the Cheseapeake Bay on it that took me almost 30 hours to scrim, but it has a lot of detail to it and it's a fairly large horn. I'm enjoying doing the wood turning for the plugs now, too. It opens up all kinds of options.
    Thanks, Ron

Ron, thanks for that great link. Many horns available at Friendship? Had a Home Ec teacher that was always in the medals down there with her blackpowder rifle. Will maybe ask her to bring some back next year!

Ron , Outstanding work! Black powder is one more thing I'd like to try but my Wife says enough hobbies! May be I could sneek a powder horn in the turning and then I'd just have to use it! Would love to see pics of your other horns. Skip

Wink Beautiful work

Outstanding horn! What I have come to expect from you!

Holy Cow Ron that is absolutely beautiful. Wow. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great job. Think I should try one to go with my French and Indian War outfit. Any good references on how to do the scrimshaw? I would probably put something from Lake George region or the Little Tennessee River where my cousin went in 1762.

Ron.....outstanding! Well done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Timberlake
    Great job. Think I should try one to go with my French and Indian War outfit. Any good references on how to do the scrimshaw? I would probably put something from Lake George region or the Little Tennessee River where my cousin went in 1762.
    Never read it myself, but here is a book! Looks like it might have some good stuff in it... http://www.amazon.com/Scrimshaw-Carv...e=UTF8&s=books
    I imagine linking to Amazon is ok... in case the link gets deleted though by the mods, the book is called How to Scrimshaw and Carve Ivory by Blackie Collins.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Beautifully executed Ron!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson