Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help me put feet on this box

help me put feet on this box

Here are some pictures to give you a chance to chime in on my design dilemma. The box has quartersawn sweetgum sides and top with maple burl trim and handle and quartersawn walnut accents. The box dimensions were sort of dictated by the extraordinary piece of sweetgum. Bottom and trays inside are walnut. I probably will carve or shape the feet from the same piece of maple burl that trims the sides. Oil finish will pop and intensify the colors significantly.

The original design sketches (picture 1) are quite preliminary, but enough to know I wanted to do something like them with this wood. This box's top hangs out over the sides instead of the options sketched.

The clunky feet sketched look too dull and boring on the piece (picture 2). Maybe making them a bit taller and beveling the inside edge would help.

I went ahead and tried to reiterate the curve in the handle on the next feet (picture 3). While they block the wraparound flow of the "landscape" in the wood's figure, maybe that is okay. Maybe the figure is strong enough to work through something emphasizing the vertical in a shape that is strongly horizontal and seemingly tall at the same time. Maybe that is the tension that works or keeps us interested. MAYBE. The feet need refining but I don't like these feet much overall.

Next (picture 4) are recent sketches to suggest more prototype shapes. The ruhlmannesque torpedo shape has always interested me. In this case the very rectalinear boxiness of the box with only a curve on the handle might not compliment the torpedo foot; or maybe it is just the thing.

My plan is to make a few more prototype shapes out of basswood and see how they look. But I have stared at it enough to welcome any fresh thinking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Sontag; 01-23-2007 at 12:53 AM.

I've got to guess based on that box that you've got far more design sense than I, but what occured to me is to make four smaller versions of the handle, invert them and attach them to the bottom of the box for feet.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

My thought exactly.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Beautiful.
    I like the side mount.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I'd turn relatively thin round ones with a cove in the middle......IOW...feet about 3/8-1/2" high disk shaped with a cove in the middle of the disk....Contrast the shape of the feet to the shape of the box....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you Mike and John. I cannot tell why I did not think of that; I will rough out a prototype and give it a look.

Tyler, I am not sure what you meant by "side mount"? Are you saying you like the picture 3 version?

Ken, Are you suggesting a small hockey puck shape underneath the box at each corner with a decorative cove cut halfway up the puck? I am not sure how that would integrate, but since I am exploring, we are going to find out! "IOW"?

Tom.....shaped like a donut laying under each corner....with a cove in the surface.......two thin donuts laying on top of each other......am I making sense?....communicating this?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John & Mike beat me to it.
    Use the fence Luke

Okay; three votes demands action. So I digitally prepared this example. Is this what you had in mind? What do you think?

I think your newest prototype looks great. Of all the ones that run up the side, I like the first drawing on the second picture--the smallest dark one.

I've been playing with SketchUp and wanted to see how to apply textures from an external source to a model. And I really liked your design, so I used your pictures and your design to draw a SU model. If you aren't comfortable with having these drawings up, please let me know and I'll edit this.

Here is what I was visuallizing.

I couldn't figure out a way to apply the texture to curved surfaces without a huge amout of work. From here, it would be easy to try different foot designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sontag
    Okay; three votes demands action. So I digitally prepared this example. Is this what you had in mind? What do you think?
    I like it.
    Use the fence Luke

13. I like Schreibers idea. I might make 2 legs instead of 4 and place them inset slightly from the end, perpendicular to the handle, and slightly lower.

I was thinking that what made the latest digital attempt by me not work was that it was too short along the long side, which would be the problem with your idea Ralph. Maybe. But what about this version? Notice I have it more flush with the side at the joint than John's sketchup version. I see this one mitered at the corner and wrapping most if not all of the end.

Play with it John. I have no problem with a SU expert offering ideas.
    Last edited by Tom Sontag; 01-24-2007 at 8:12 PM.

Here's some more variations. I'm kind of surprised to see that I kind of like the elongated egg shapes holding up the corners. It's a shame to hide the fine corners that were there before though.