Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: harbor freight drill press

harbor freight drill press

Hi
    I bought the 99 dollar 1/2 HP benchtop drill press at HF.I hope its not a pice of crap.Ill cross my fingers
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme
    Hi
    I bought the 99 dollar 1/2 HP benchtop drill press at HF.I hope its not a pice of crap.Ill cross my fingers
    I'm interested in hearing your experience. I will probably buy a drill press in the next few months and this one was on my list.

Good Luck with it.

Tim
    I always hear mixed reviews about HF on this site.I never know what to think

The most important thing to test with an inexpensive drill press is the runout. Chuck some plain drill rod in there and look for wobble at the end.

Marc
    I bought the larger floor model 16 speed and It turned out to be a pretty good paid $149 for it a few years ago I did find that the chuck and taper were pretty much junk so after upgrading the taper and chuck I ended up with a fairly good drill press. I do not know if others have had the same experience with HF tools as me but I have had to replace all the switches on All my HF electric tools the rocker switch they use is pretty much junk I have three tools with the rocker switch DP, DC and grinder and have had to replace all the switches.
    Larry

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    My first DP was HF. Would burn oval holes in in my stock.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Save your receipt.

A friend and I both bought one, I am using the motors and pulleys from both for other projects. Broke the depth stop on the first one in about 2 hours. Never again...

Glen Simpson

Oh boy, I got a bad feeling.Well I could use it for about a year(if it makes it that long)then sell it on craigs list for 30 less than I paid for it.

I'll dare to go against the flow here.

I have the floor model listed below and have been very happy with it. At first I was disappointed and was ready to bring it back when I remembered I had some extra link belt laying around. Replaced both the drive belts with link and cut the vibration down to nothing. It routinely goes on sale for $100 off the price currently listed which then puts it at the price point I beleive it should be at.

If your going to bring the one you bought back, I would encourage you to get a floor model as the footprint really is inconsequential when compared to dealing with a larger bench model which you will have to "place" in a semi-permanent place somewhere.

My 2 cents,

Jim in Idaho

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43389

Got Drill Press Yesterday

Hi,
    Well I finaly got the drill press in the mail yesterday and I have to say I was very surprised.I have heard some real horror stories on this forum about HF and I was expecting the cheapest piece of junk on the market.Put it together in about 20 min,started it up and drilled a few 5/8 holes in some oak with no problem at all.No wobble at all,cast iron base and table,has some good weight to it,depth stop works great,switch is a little loose(I have heard of problems on forum about the switches)but if thats the only thing that goes,no big deal.For the money IMO I think I got a great deal.Thinking about trying the 12 in Thickness planer next but i will wait as little while.Still got some other projects to do to get my shop together.
    Well just thought I would share my opinion.
    See ya
    Marc

I have used mine for over 25 years with nary a problem.

A few years back I purchased a no-name brand ,floor model drill press, from a discount store for $99. That drill press is the most accurate tool in my shop. You never know.

“You get what you pay for” but sometimes all you “get” is ripped off.

As far as the planer you might want to check out Grizzly 12 1/2" planer http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0505 I picked one of these up and absolutely love it has done real well for me I bought it @ $225 it's $239 now.

I've had mine for aboyt 3 years and have no complaints. Initially the press made a terible ratteling noise until I found the rubber bumpers for the pulley cover.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson