Thread: Beginners carving knife suggestions?

Question Beginners carving knife suggestions?

Me again! I don't have a lot of time during the day to be in the "shop" working. So I think that if I was working with a carving knife in some moments throughout the day it would help.

So what is a good carving knife? I wanting to just learn more about working with wood. I'm wanting to get a decent sample of wood types so I can learn the differences between them. I'm not sure what I'll carve yet, I'm looking for a book to pick up with some patterns or examples.

Lee Valley has a lot of options. I didn't know if I should get a specific carving knife, or just use a pocket knife? I'm new, and so I appreciate all comments!

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...332,43339&ap=1

These seem nice and inexpensive, what blade style should I try to find?

Luke

Of those pictured,"E" is the most versatile for all-around use. I'd get it and start making shavings!
    I think you're definately on the right track. Get several different kinds of wood and try carving something (anything) from all of them.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Rick

Luke go back one page on that LV link to the carving knives and look instead at the Bubinga carving knives or the first carving knife, I forget what it was called, that is if you are talking about three dimensional carving.

The chip carving knives are for relief carving in wood where a pattern is drawn and the bits to be renoved are cut out.

Good luck.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Couple of ideas from a new carver.

1. Starting out, avoid a knife with a curved cutting edge; it's much harder to sharpen.

2. If you can afford the slight price increase, consider the tools of North Bay Forge. They are wonderful hand-forged tools at a very reasonable price. You'll also help promote the artisan tool movement.

Take a look at the carving tool discussions in this carving discussion group site ... http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...splay.php?f=52

There are many carving sites that offer beginners packages of basic knife, strop, thumb protector, etc. for a modest price.

Tom

My plug for www.littleshavers.com. Good begginners carving kit. I was pleased.
    Chuck

7. May be this can help