Thread: Problem with motor on Grizzly G0500 8-inch jointer

Problem with motor on Grizzly G0500 8-inch jointer

Friday afternoon I was face jointing a bunch of sycamore. Detected a funny "burnt popcorn" smell, attributed it to working the sycamore, although LOML and I had never detected it before.

I took a short break to go into the house, returned, and the motor would not turn at all . Removed belts, and tried without load. Motor started running.... backward! A few minutes later motor started running in the proper direction - clockwise, while looking at it from the back. Tried again, and it started running backward again.

Hmmm. Time for some troubleshooting.

1. Pull out manual.
    2. Read Troubleshooting pages ==>> Check voltages at wall outlet and at machine. Both OK at 243.2 volts.
    3. Call Grizzly. They advise to remove fan cover, remove switch behind it, and clean contacts by removing all carbon deposits with 600 grit sand paper. Done.
    4. Re-install everything and try it again.
    5. Same symptoms.
    6. Call Grizzly. This time, recommendation was to look for gooey stuff in the capacitor area; OR bad windings.
    7. Removed capacitor cover - gooey stuff all over. AHA!
    8. Run to motor shop. Left house at 2:45 pm. Shop closes at 4:30 PM, and is closed all weekend.
    9. Motor shop has the capacitor in stock. Dave, the owner, works on it himself; replaces the capacitor, and checks the windings. Comments on how well the motor runs, quiet as a sleepy kitten.
    10. Total is less than $20, including $10 for labor!
    11. Run home, place motor in shop, and go to the house.
    12. Motor will be re-installed later today, to finish jointing about 100 bd ft for current project.

All is well now. I hope...

Have a GREAT weekend, everyone. I hope I can work all weekend jointing and planing the lumber for this project, as a good part of Friday was lost. We expect as much as 6-8 inches of snow, starting this afternoon into Sunday morning.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Al.

Good to see that everything turned out alright.
    I work in the electronics industry. Over the last 10-15 years, we have seen an accelerated failure of capacitors across the board. It's happening on all types of equipment. Even the bigger names in cap's, Mallory and Spraque, just aren't lasting.
    Still glad to see that you are up and running for the weekend.

Thanks, Mike.

Got the back in the jointer and running this morning. Just got back from a run to the airport to greet someone, and will be in the shop shortly to make some saw dust.

Al

Hi Al,

Glad you got the jointer running. I'm just curious - how long have you had the jointer?

John

Thanks, John.

The jointer is running beautifully today - just came in the house after about 2 hours face jointing. The machine did not complain about anything! And it is running very cool, too.

The jointer is 2 years old. Never had any problems with it, until yesterday (Friday). While in the shop, we checked the amperage without load after replacing the capacitor - it was just a tad over 4 amps, which is great, according to Dave, the shop owner. I believe it is rated at 6.5 amps under load (I am running it on 220 volts).

I am totally ignorant about motors or anything electrical, as I am sure you may have already deduced . As a result, I AM glad that it is running at all!

Al

Al,
    You did the right thing and it paid off.
    David B

Yup, I was thinking capacitor before I finished the second paragraph.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Thanks, Dave.

Kyle,
    I am sure it IS simple stuff to many people. But electrical stuff has never been my forte, and motors even less. Is there a simple troubleshooting guide that might help me in the future with the motors on the other machines? I sure would appreciate such help !

Al