Thread: Anyone cut ULTEM before.

Anyone cut ULTEM before.

I have a request to cut some parts out of ULTEM (polyetherimide). It's a brown translucent plastic with high melting point (about 500 C). Has anyone worked with it before?

thanks

Thomas

I think ULTEM will give you trouble. Some years ago I asked GE the same question regarding Ultem film. They said yes, it was laser machinable but that is all they would offer. They said I should go to my laser supplier for more info. I doubt you will get any info from the manufacturers of the machines we use. I did not pursue it further.

I know that film is laser-drilled for electronics applications but cutting is not common. It will likely process similar to Kapton (meaning very poorly) with charred edges. I believe that in the electronics industry they favor C02 lasers with a 9.4 micron (approx) wavelength for processing plastics like Kapton (and maybe ULTEM as well.) Your laser is 10.6 microns.

Synrad says you can mark it. If you find out anything different about cutting let us know. The 500C rating is a key. It tells you it will cut by thermal degradation (burning) which means charring. Then you will have to figure out how to clean off the charred deposits from the part.

I have in my notes when I was investigating it that it produces some cynanide when cutting. Not trying to scare you, as all plastics will produce toxic chemicals of one type or another. When inquiring about cutting a plastic they will refer you to the MSDS but the average person is not able to make an educated judgement as to whether something is safe to laser cut by reading an MSDS. But if you cut ULTEM make sure you have good ventilation as always.

Thanks for the feed back. At my day job will have a full time saftey officer, I'll print out the MSDS sheets and have them read it over. I'm getting a scrap peice to run a test so I will report back.

Thomas

Seems GE plastics has more info on ULTEM than when I looked. Check this out.

http://kbam.geampod.com/KBAM/Reflect...sets/10610.pdf

They sound more positive about laser cutting ULTEM than I was in my response, and they should know. Power might be an issue. Unless you are cutting thin films it appears that you need a lot of power. Their information is geared toward the use of industrial lasers, not laser engravers. Nothing like testing it though.

I think the power is going to be the issue. I have a sample now so this weekend I will give it a try.

Thanks

Thomas

Hey all - I know this thread is really old, but wanted to share this post on Ultem film that seems helpful. Hopefully it'll be valuable for anyone coming across this thread in the future. https://www.polymerfilms.com/blog/ev...ut-ultem-film/