Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plwood Storage Help

Plwood Storage Help

Since my garage is my workshop, I need to find a way to store Plywood 4X8 sheets on edge and have the cart mobile to move out of the way and to the feed end of the table saw. I did a search but could not find a picture of this type of rack, but remember a thread about 5 or 6 months ago where someone built something similar to my needs. Any ideas or leads on a design will be appreciated.

Since the ice is fairly heavy here, I can't get to the BORG for paint to finish my NYW Router table (as soon as it is painted and stained I Will post pictures). I do though have enough extra wood to build the rack and it would be a great project to keep me busy

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Hill; 01-16-2007 at 1:15 PM.
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Gee, it is true what they say about Texas -- 8x10 sheets!

Big cart

You are going to need a big cart. You will want large caster wheels at each end. The center of gravity of upright plywood is 2 feet off the floor plus the height of the wheel axle; this means that your outrigger wheels have to be at least one foot plus from the plywood. That means that the footprint for your cart will be at least 3 by 8 feet. Cart tipover with several sheets of plywood is a real safety problem. Borg carts are really heavy but they can tip if overloaded. It might be better to store it against the wall
    Last edited by Gary Breckenridge; 01-17-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Gee, it is true what they say about Texas -- 8x10 sheets!

Jamie: Guess I was thinking of a sheet of paper! 4X8 is what I meant to say. Thanks for correcting me.

Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Gary: I wish I could. I think it would be a good solution. I am going to check and see if I have the room behind the compressor. Dragging the sheets to the table saw or out in the drive to cut them down to workable size is a problem. Like everyone, I wish I had a large shop and about four times the room. Just waiting to hit the lottery
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hill
    Since my garage is my workshop, I need to find a way to store Plywood 4X8 sheets on edge and have the cart mobile to move out of the way and to the feed end of the table saw. I did a search but could not find a picture of this type of rack, but remember a thread about 5 or 6 months ago where someone built something similar to my needs. Any ideas or leads on a design will be appreciated.

Since the ice is fairly heavy here, I can't get to the BORG for paint to finish my NYW Router table (as soon as it is painted and stained I Will post pictures). I do though have enough extra wood to build the rack and it would be a great project to keep me busy

Mike
    Are you thinking of Workbench magazine? Issue #280 Dec. 2003 (had storage, panel cutting table, and moving cart).

I built that storage cart and have been less than happy with it.

I like the concept of a plywood only system on a hinge and the bottom on wheels.

The problem with my Cart woodstorage is that it is too heavy and is nearly impossible to move, and when I do want to move it, it wants to fall apart. A plywood only system would be lighter and would likely roll better.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Plywood storage cart plus

Hi Mike,
    Check this out. I'm about to start building mine like this, I't perfect for me. Dick
    http://home.pacbell.net/paulcomi//Sp...ck_article.htm

Dick: Yep I like this one also. It could be constructed a bit thinner with less small stuff storage. I have some wall shelves for that. Thanks for passing it along.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

10. I built an A frame cart using 2*4s ripped in half and 3/4" ply.
    It's on casters for mobility. Just make it about 4" high and 7' or 8' long and make it sturdy. You can add interior shelves later.

Cliff: Do you have a picture or drawing of the cart? Sounds interesting.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Mike,

You might want a look at this old thread ... see my note on page 2.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7218

Regards,
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

If you got the room Mike, Norm make a real nice stock cart to hold cut offs, sheet goods etc. Check it out.

Corey

I built a cart like Dick's and I love it. It has 6" poly casters on it and a crude torsion box on the bottom to add rigidity. It's heavy but not really too hard to move with the big casters. BTW I store my GSS rails in one of the tunnels.

Norm also built a roll-around cart with a triangle shape. Sheet goods on both sides with cut-off storage between the sides. I have the reference someplace if anyone is interested.