Thread: Shaker Clock comments from Steve Wargo

Shaker Clock comments from Steve Wargo

Steve Wargo had some nice comments about the Shaker clock I posted in my intro, so I thought if you guys don't mind I will tell you how that clock got me in trouble with my wife.

I made the clock as a spec piece, which is unusual because I seldom do spec pieces. It was made from local walnut, it features a custom dial face, a 14 day German made movement and antique glass in the bonnet. It is my interpretation of the Watervliet Shaker clock made by one of the Young's either Isaac or Benjamin I don't remember now.( Clocks are one of the few Shaker items that can be attributed to an individual) I put the clock in a show and it did not sell, but that was ok because Julie and I had gotten quite attached to the clock. Some months later just before Christmas a friend of mine stopped by and asked if I was still interested in selling the clock? That evening when Julie got home from work I informed her that "I had good news and bad news, the good news is that I came into quite a sum of money today, the bad news is I sold the clock." Julie was not amused.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it's time to make your wife a new clock. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I like that clock and it is on my long list of Shaker pieces to make. I am going to attend C.H. Becksvoort's Shaker clock class at Kelly Mehler's this summer. I am interested in your source for movements as well as your custom dial, as I will need to order both prior to the class.

The clock I will make is also based on a Young design, but it is the smaller version that hangs on the wall.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Nice work Ron. The clock looks fantastic. We'll be looking forward to seeing the new one that you build for Julie.,

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese
    Julie was not amused.
    At least she didn't clean your clock for you! Anyway, I hope not. Very nice work Ron.

Bill

Mike Julie is looking forward to that too, and she reminds me on a regular basis.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    I like that clock and it is on my long list of Shaker pieces to make.
    Anything in progress at the moment Martin? (nudge nudge ) I have no room to talk of course.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    I think it's time to make your wife a new clock. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Yup, that is indeed something on your "honey-do" list!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That clock is gorgeous. Unfortunately, in my house I'd have to bolt it to the floor or my Chessie would knock it over. There's a reason all my furniture has a wide base . . .

I've run into the same problem, except that she just refuses to let me sell some things. Just make her another clock.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese
    ...That evening when Julie got home from work I informed her that "I had good news and bad news, the good news is that I came into quite a sum of money today, the bad news is I sold the clock." Julie was not amused.
    Wow! You're a brave man. I wouldn't be able to do that. I hope your wife enjoys the clock you're making for her.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Dan, you certainly need to locate a piece like this out of a traffic area. I have a yellow lab and while we had the clock I had put counterweight in the bottom of the case.