Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is having a quill lock on a drill press?

Hi Steve,

I have the Ho626 model of the Shop Focx drill press. It is a great drill press. the OSS part is pretty slick, you add an extra belt and it oscillates. It does not have the travel of a dedicated OSS but it worls pretty well. The drillpress it self is very good I am suprised how much I use it. It does not have a quill lock that I know of. I just raise the table or hold the quill adjustment to run the nuts down for depth adjustment.

Good luck in your search

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Fitzsimonds
    It does not have a quill lock that I know of. I just raise the table or hold the quill adjustment to run the nuts down for depth adjustment.Roger
    Roger, that is interesting. Thanks,

Can someone tell me if a shorter spindle travel is that limiting? Can I also crank up the table after drilling with it's maximum spindle travel and then re-drill the same hole for greater depth?

Steve, personally, I think it is. Especially cutting with something like a forstner that is designed to cut anywhere (including the edge of an existing hole). When I change the height on the table on my Delta the alignment changes. It is simple to cut the power and realign the bit, but I still don't get as accurate a hole. And the table height lock on my Delta is a pit to loosen and tighten. Mine has to be really cranked down to hold, and mine is against the wall so the lever is "back there" to get to.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rybicki
    Roger, that is interesting. Thanks,

Can someone tell me if a shorter spindle travel is that limiting? Can I also crank up the table after drilling with it's maximum spindle travel and then re-drill the same hole for greater depth?