Thread: Question about a Steel City TS...

Question about a Steel City TS...

Greetings.

Have you any remarks about the Steel City 35601 hybrid ?
    My question is mainly about the fence. Is it as good as the Delta-Biesemeyer
    that it copies ?

Thanks....

I saw one for sale recently for cheap. Are you looking at it?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I was looking at that saw too. I can't find anyone that has a price though. Seems to me like its the same as the craftsman and delta hybrids.

Steel City

I two have been kicking hybrid Saw tires. They had a $100 rebate running, I'm not sure if they still do. The company is run by guys who once held senior spots with Jet / PowerMatic. Woodworkers Journal October issue had a blurb about them. It was't really a tool review, more of an annoucement that they exist. The fence looks very biesmeyer like. I havent seen one in the flesh yet. I would appreciate any first any knowledge you pick up..

Thanks
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Winterhalter
    The fence looks very biesmeyer like. I havent seen one in the flesh yet. I would appreciate any first any knowledge you pick up..

Hey Clint....

I called Steel City and spoke with a gentleman who explained that the 35601 Hybrid comes standard with their " Deluxe " T-square fence. The " Deluxe " is the equivelant of the Biesemeyer " Homeshop " fence. Their " Industrial " fence is an upgrade you can order which is the equivelant of the Biesemeyer " Commercial " fence.

I think the Craftsman 22124 is a better deal as it comes with the Biesemeyer " Commercial " fence standard and is already a proven performer.

Elliott

Blog Entries
    I think the SC is a valid view when looking at these saws but I went with the 22124; Biesemeyer commercial, cabinet mounted trunnions (love 'em) and a Lietz blade all for the price of addmission. Prices really vary. At $1000 list it is high but many here including me have gotten them much cheaper; holiday sale + craftsman club + free shipping, etc. You just have to watch and be a little patient.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The 22124 can be had for the rest of this week at $719.

I just finished the deal. Order online though, when I called the store, they quoted $799, but i told them it was $719 online and they matched the price.

Probably could have waited for a little better price, but I don't have a saw at the moment so I was itching to go.

Gary

Steel City

I have been comparing saws in person recently (mostly Steel City $1599 TS to the Delta x5). My conclusions are as follows:

Fences: I do prefer the Industrial Steel City over the Commercial Biesemeyer (by far actually) . The fence glides much easier on the Steel City. The Biesemeyer is also a solid fence, but I would take the Steel City any day. There is a rear glider on the Steel City that allows you to adjust the fence -> table clearance thus avoiding any rubbing. The face of the fence also seems to be made of UHMW. This adds to the appeal. There are also plastic like set screws that allow the user to tweak the rigidity of the fence when sliding back and forth on the table.

The Steel City commercial fence does not have as many tweaking adjustments and lacks a rear glider that I spoke of earlier. I would say that it is on par with the Home Shop version of the Biesemeyer.

Body: The steel city seems beefier in general. I like the support table just a bit more on the Steel City, They are really almost the same in construction. The surface seems a little less prone to scratches.

Saw: They seem equal.

Based on what I have seen at the local power tool store, I would, and probably will eventually replace every tool in my shop with a Steel City. The tools are about equal in every way to the companies that have been around awhile, but there is extra detail given to the Steel City to put on a few things that others would not. Not to mention the price with the rebates right now are impossible to beat unless you find a going out of business sale. To better illustrate the extra detail, just look at the mortisers. The Steel City comes in with a cast base with cast extension wings not to mention a see through compartment that houses the chuck. All that for just over $200 after rebate.

Let me mention that I am in no way affiliated with Steel City. I have just been so impressed with their products, be it price, quality, and attention to detail, that I have no problem standing by them.

Justin
    Last edited by Justin McCurdy; 01-11-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Steel City TS info..

Elliot, Thanks for the info on the Steel City Fence..

Justin I also was very interested to read your opinion also.

Once I finally figure out what I want to buy the hard part will be convincing my wife to let me spend the MONEY!!

Wish Me luck!

Clint