Thread: Contractor table saw cabinet/stand?

Contractor table saw cabinet/stand?

I have an increasingly upgraded Jet contractor's saw. The saw is currently on an open stand (metal angle, stock) and a mobile base (3/4" ply and wheels). I'd like to reclaim some room by building a cabinet under the saw, with room for blade, jig, and router bit storage. What I don't have a good feel for, though, is supporting the weight.

The saw has a Bench Dog router table extension on the left hand side, a 3/4" laminate extension table on the right hand side, and 30" rails. I'd also like to build an outfeed table (again, 3/4" laminate). Would a cabinet made of dadoed 3/4" ply be able to hold the weight? Does anyone have plans for this sort of thing? Unfortunately, searching for "table saw cabinet" doesn't produce the right sort of results.

WOOD Magazine has a couple plans, including one that might be perfect for the setup you have with the router table integral. 3/4" plywood is more than up to the task for the weight involved if the cabinet is constructed correctly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Drew

I would focuss more on the casters (if you are using them). 3/4 ply will do
    a good job for you.
    Les

Great, thanks!

The base I'm not too worried about - I have the Woodcraft mobile base kit and it's under the saw currently. I was going to build a cabinet to size and bolt the saw on top.

One more design question. The saw has "dust collection" in the form of a port under the saw blade, but there's still a lot of buildup on the various parts (not to mention the floor). Currently I shove a Shopvac up from underneath to vacuum everything out. If I built a cabinet, I'd want a fixed back to prevent the whole thing from collapsing. Should I be worrying about the buildup, or should I just install a dust port on the back and get a dust collector to suck it out?