Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to wait till milling new lumber

How long to wait till milling new lumber

This is actually a stealth gloat. I found a new lumber supplier in my area that I went to visit yesterday for the first time. This place has only one price for all the lumber they sell $2.00/bf. And here is the real kicker - the lumber is all kiln dried to 6% moisture and flat as a pancake.
    I couldn't believe the quality. I didn't need to go through piles, every board was a thing of beauty. Just took a half dozen from the top of the Oak pile. All rough sawn, but they will provide S2S for an additional .80/bf. I passed on the service - I'll plane it myself.

So, here's the question - how long should I keep the boards in my shop before starting to mill them?

Thanks
    Bart
    Measure Once, Cut twice, Curse@#$, Buy More Lumber!

As long as it takes for them to reach EMC (equilibrium moisture content).

Or, in laymans terms, a couple weeks! But, unless they are still warm from being in the kiln, they've probably already climatized at the lumber yard. Todd.

You can use it now. People think they need to aclimate wood to their shop, that isn't true.
    I think this is an Old timers hold over from years past.
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim mckee
    You can use it now. People think they need to aclimate wood to their shop, that isn't true.
    I think this is an Old timers hold over from years past.
    jim
    The only caveat to this is that if you are buying material that has different MC from other material in the project--stuff that you may have had for awhile, it's a good idea to wait for them to equalize. This is to help normalize wood movement across the entire project...a very desirable thing. But if the entire project is being made from the same buy, generally no problem as Jim says.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Goldberg
    - the lumber is all kiln dried to 6% moisture and flat as a pancake.

Thanks
    Bart
    Test it in the oven or with a meter. Doesn't sound right.

The only stock kilned all the way to 6% is flooring and some other specialty woods.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

BArt,
    I am in your neck of the woods from time to time. Can you share this new new yard's contact information with us?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Question

.... From my limited degree of knowledge on the subject I would tend to agree with Bob. This situation just seems too perfect .

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    Test it in the oven or with a meter. Doesn't sound right.

The only stock kilned all the way to 6% is flooring and some other specialty woods.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

sly fox you

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    BArt,
    I am in your neck of the woods from time to time. Can you share this new new yard's contact information with us?
    you are just trying to get the chickens in the hen house arent you alan fowl play i think// save some for bart
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Bart -

I buy all my lumber rough sawn. I'm not sure the MC but it's probably under 10%. To be on the safe side I store it in my basement shop for at least 2 weeks prior to milling. I'm very conservative because I go so far as mill 4 sides to a rough dimension and then let it sit for a few days before I do final milling. I always check the pieces to make sure they are still flat prior to final planing.

Mike

I'm willing to bet it is East Coast Log. You can find exact contact info on Woodfinder and search within 75 miles of Westfield, NJ.

The only caveat to this supplier is that his inventory in not consistent. I would advise you to call before you go to ask about what is in stock.

I got the maple for this bench from him. Turned out to be highly figured

(oh, I NEVER miss an opportunity to post pics of my bench...

I'd like the name too if you don't mind sharing....

Ditto on the contact info...curious minds need to know!

There seems to be a few guys in the Philly area. Any other hot spots for good basic woods and good exotic woods?

Nice gloat!! I don't wait to start cutting stock.

As others have said, if I buy from all the same lot, I don't wait to start cutting. Normally I have run some it through my planer before I get it all unloaded
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

All-

Here is the contact information for East Coast Log

East Coast Log
    Address: 50 County Road 639
    Warren Glen/ Bloomsbury Rd
    Bloomsbury, NJ 08804
    Phone: 908-995-2902

and his written description from Woodfinder:

East Coast Log sells hardwoods at $2/bf(roughsawn), regardless of species or width.

LUMBER IN STOCK: Apple, Ash, Basswood, Butternut, Red Cedar, Cherry, Hickory, Black Locust, Honey Locust, Soft Maple, Spalted Red Maple, Mulberry, Black Oak, Pin Oak, Red Oak, Quartersawn Red Oak, White Oak, Quartersawn White Oak, Pawlonia, White Pine, Tulip Poplar, Sassafras, Black Walnut, English Walnut, Willow

We also have a good supply of cherry burl, willow burl, black oak burl, honey locust burl, and occasionally, white cedar burl and elm burl.

ANTIQUE WOOD: Old Oak, Spalted Maple

Green Wood custom sawn to order

This is 99% likely to be the place. I've bought lumber from him, and as I said, it turned out to have nice figure, and now resides in my shop as my workbench.

His stock can be inconsistent, although a phone call will confirm he has what you might need in stock. Close to I-78 Exit 4 (or 7...), weekend hours, but call ahead to confirm.