Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timber pics for the northern hemisphere members

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton Findlay

Tim - nice box. I'll keep and eye out for the thread so I can find out what finish you are using. I'm in Melbourne as well - Craigieburn, whereabouts are you?
    G'day Clinton, its just good old martrix from you know where ...

Tim - in december last year I had to head over your way a few times.... should have caught up with you but it was short notice each time.
    I would have like to have seen some of your veneers and veneer work "in the flesh".

Some Ai-Naas (?) a tropical rosewood from East Timor.
    There is a large variation in the colour, from quite pale to very dark.... with the paler wood having more striations. An interesting timber that I plan on working with in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clinton,

I just did a floor out of that material. The supplier called it Australian Ash. I was never able to find out anything more than that.

Matt -
    the pic of Ai-naas is a local timber in East Timor... I haven't been able to find out a scientific name.

I think that your Australian Ash flooring might be sold under an "Trade name" in the US... in Australian we have Victorian Ash and Tasmanian Oak.
    Victoria and Tasmania are the names of two of our 'trade groups'. Both timber trade groups are suitable for flooring.
    Tasmanian Oak is a mix of three eucalypt species that are pretty much identical in specifications.
    The species are: Eucalyptus delegatensis, Eucalyptus obliqua and Eucalyptus regnans

Whilst Victorian Ash is mostly Eucalyptus regnans, however you may find Euc. delegatensis mixed in with it, and perhaps a little Eucalyptus sieberi.

here's a good link: http://www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/species/tasoak_01.asp

No-one wanted to buy any of the 4 Eucalyptus species... when they were marketed as Tasmanian Oak and Victorian Ash, demand jumped!

Eucalyptus Regnas is the worlds tallest flowering plant... the only trees taller are your Califorian Redwoods (which are conifer, not a flowering plant????). The tallest known live Euc. regnas is 99 meters tall, although a goverment surveyer measured a fallen Euc regans in the year 1872 at 133 meters (436 feet) in length with a diameter (at 5' from the ground) of 18'.
    This tree's crown was broken off, so the total length is not known, but the trunk was still 3' in diameter where it had broken.

Enjoy the floor... it should be hard wearing!

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton Findlay View Post
    An example is Red Ironbark (Euc. sideroxylon) which occurs in the savannah woodland (receives reasonable rainfall, 20 - 30" annual rainfall, which is a misleading figure as the evaporation rates dry out the soil very quickly). It weighs 1220 kg/cube green, and air dry is 1130 kg/cube. Air drying takes a year per inch, minimum, and it is prone to splitting at that rate. A person I know only cuts it in winter and solar kiln's it over 5 years to avoid splitting. He continually juggles the humidity in the kiln to slowly bring it down, with the majority of the drying done through our winters. Very interlocked grain, so working it is demanding, although it the density of the grain produces an excellent visual appeal when finished.
    I am picking up a couple good size logs of Euc. sideroxylon this week. Curious to see how hard it is on my swing arm blades and slabbing chains. And how interesting the grain is on a few slab experiments.