Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Workbench is Finished

Quote Originally Posted by John Davidson
    This project started with a few posts here at the creek back at the end of July. I finished it this last weekend.

I started by reading Scott Landis' "The Workbench Book". It then moved on to wood selection. I had already decided that I wanted to build my bench out of hard maple. However, hard maple in my area is VERY expensive. So, I searched for an alternative wood. I found a cheap source of ash but it was #1 common. Someone responded to one of my posts that ash would work fine but I might want to look at european beech. That it was the wood of choice on the other side of the pond for workbenches. So the search for beech was on.

I could not find any local supplier of beech but after surfing the web I found a source on E-Bay. A bid was placed, the bill was paid and a week later a pallet, 464 bft of 8/4 european steamed beech, arrived at the local Overnight terminal for me to pick up. The total cost after shipping was $1.55/bft. It was obviously more wood than I needed for the project but the wood was all select or better. I figured at that price I could find some other uses for the 300 bft or more that would be left over.

Three months later, it is finished. The bench is a combination of several different plans and designs. I used a plan in Woodsmith as a starting point and went from there. The bottom cabinet is straight from the Woodsmith plan. The cabinet is built out of 1- 3/4" sheet of birch ply and the beech, I tried but I couldn't find any beech topped plywood. All of the vise hardware came from Highland Hardware. The handles were turned on the lathe out of beech and padauk. The last of three coats of Watco natural oil finish was the last step, this last weekend. All in all, I an very happy with the result. It has been one of my most satisfying projects

Thanks
    John
    Excellent work! Nicely done. I'm a bit envious, someday I'm going to try that.

Rich
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

All I can say is.....

....you make me sick It needs three coats of bright red latex gloss so's you won't trip over it
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Hi

Great looking Bench,

Take care,
    Jim

Nice work John

I'm sure you will enjoy that bench more than you can appreciate at the moment. The bench is the foundation of a workshop and is one of the most important tools a woodworker can own. You did a great job and I'm sure it brings you a lot of satisfaction.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Great looking bench. I doubt it will move at all while you're using it

Oh yea, great score on the wood as well.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Wow!

That is beautiful! What a great piece!

John,

WOW!!!! Fantstic job on the bench!!!! You should be very proud.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John,

I can only echo everyone else's kudos. Wow, what a great project and beatiful bench!

What size is the top?
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Too sweet!

One fine bench! I would be scared to mar it! I must agree with everyone else, that is very...very nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    John,

I can only echo everyone else's kudos. Wow, what a great project and beatiful bench!

What size is the top?
    Kent, The top is 72" long, not including the extra 4" of the tail vise. The working are is 22" wide. The tool tray is 8" wide and 3" deep. Over all the top is 32" wide.

David Blangger Guest
    I said it before and I will say it again.....a beautiful bench will demand beautiful projects.....your bench definitely fits this category...also congratulations in making your own version.

Shop? You say shop? That sucker belongs in your dining room! As has already been said, I'd be afraid I'd drop something on it. Man what a bench!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1