Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use or see the palmgren lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Guinn
    .....I just ordered one the day before Christmas, It should be here by the 5th of Jan. It's is my first lathe.....
    Rex....after seeing what Bernie, Bonnie, Bob, and Bobby have done....I just gotta say that I'm glad your name starts with R.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hey Guys,
    I don't post here much anymore, but I had to stop by & say thank you for the heads up on this lathe deal. My current lathe is an older borrowed craftsman so I figured I almost had to buy this lathe.
    $289.99 + Free shipping - - Then I had a $100 Visa gift card I won at the company party, so I used that, but I had to buy a gift certificate with the card, because Amazon won't take 2 cards for the same purchase. they were nice enough to give me an additional $5 credit for doing this. so It's down to $184.99 out of pocket - Then I applied on line for an Amazon Visa card that gives a $30 credit for applying. Total out of pocket $154.99 for a 15" swing 1 HP lathe with outboard turning capabilities - Can't go wrong I don't think. Didn't even take much begging to the CFO to get approval
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Man all the letters are all messed up now first all the b's now there's an r and a t.
    Guy's I hope this lathe is a good one. Now no one get mad at me for starting this up if they get a lemon. Though my luck it will be me!

Bob

Ps. congrads on the Lathe Tom!

Sorry about messing up the letters - we're not trying to overthrough the B people Anyway - for $155 out of pocket I figure if I get a year out of it I'll be ahead of the game - as long as it's not a frustrating machine to use, but it doesn't sound like it so I think you're in the clear with me anyway
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

There is no difference between the Palmgren & the Craftsman
    except color....The big difference for me anyway was the 5 yr warranty
    from sears which has come in very handy so far. You should have very
    little problems if your shop is climate controlled, moisture really causes
    problems with the drive pulleys....If your shop isn't climate controlled
    meaning high humidity then you have to be willing to do some PM work
    in the area of the drive pulleys, (remove the pulleys & lightly sand the
    shafts to keep it moving freely) & I do that at least once a month and
    it keeps on ticking...

OKay, now I need some ideas for table shape and size. If I bolt the lathe to the table, what width and depth should the table be? The lathe would have to be near enough the edge to get the outboard to work.... And how long do I need that table? Height I can figure, but not sure on the others. Wouldn't want to design something that won't work after all the trouble. I have to draw up the plans, then my husband will make it. I sure do appreciate everyones help!

Good information to know Mike! I'm glad I've got a AC/Heat pump for my shop. Sure makes it nice

Bonnie, you should bolt it close to the edge, I used an old solid
    fireplace mantel for mine. Keep in mind that later if you want
    to use a hollowing tool like Jamieson's you will need room
    for the swing of the back rest. Here's a pic of my setup.
    lathe.jpg

My Outboard tool rest just arrived. In the picture, it shows the straight toolrest....but they shipped the curved bowl rest instead. I'm cool with that.....now I have two!
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    My Outboard tool rest just arrived. In the picture, it shows the straight toolrest....but they shipped the curved bowl rest instead. I'm cool with that.....now I have two!
    Lucky duck! My lathe is supposed to get here on the 9th. Guess I'll have to wait until it gets here to figure out the table plans

John, The ad said it came with the s-rest. I glad it did that's one reason I ordered it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart

John, what is the size of the tool post? Just wondering if the S-curve tool rest set I have for my Delta Midi will work. Thanks. The lathe does have a hollow head stock, right?

Okay, you all are educating my a little bit at a time (my slow speed, not the amount of information you are providing!). Palmgren makes the Craftsman lathe, duh! Just got that figured. I also have the Craftsman 15" but mine has a 2 HP motor. Yep, garage is heated when out there with a wood stove (a lathe sure makes you look at a wood pile differently!). Had a problem the other day with a pulley, popped the cover off, tapped with a ball peen hammer handle and working fine again. It is an adjustable pulley. I try to shut mine off before leaving for the day in slow speed (pulleys pulled together) the pulleys are more apt to spread apart (for faster speed) than come together at the start of a new day. Mine goes from 200 to 2000 RPM, really like this lathe. Oh and sorry for adding a J to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega
    John, what is the size of the tool post? Just wondering if the S-curve tool rest set I have for my Delta Midi will work. Thanks. The lathe does have a hollow head stock, right?
    Gilbert...I just measured the tool rest post and it is 7/8" diameter. I'm not sure I understand your hollow head stock question.
    ~john

My lathe arrived yesterday, I am now in the process of builing a bench for it. The bench I have in mind is 20x31x65 with a shelf about 12" from the floor for sand bags. Is loose sand better than bags? I would think it would absorb better but since this is my first lathe?
    Rex

I'm sure the cats around would prefer loose sand I'm going to go with lead or bagged sand I think.