Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino

Thanks Bob,

Good News....

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Per, I happened to mention to Bob last night while having an IM chat with him that you should get the first Domino through his dealership...really, I did!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would like to see this thread go awhile longer. Because I don't see any advantage here with this morticer than what many of us have been doing in the past. I have a mortiser attached to my table saw that I've used for years then make my own tenons according to the size of the mortice.

How is this better than the emello (I know I spelled it wrong). Or the plunge mortisers that have become popular about 5 years ago?

We're not just getting excited because it's Festool are we? If it's that great that everyone should have one, then convince me so I can get one at the introductory discount price.

Mark

Mark,

I use to bring a table saw to my jobs.

No more. (55 and 65)

Every time I make something in the shop and then install it

my profit margin shrinks. But, make it right there, where it goes....

The time savings are enormous. The thinking alone cost me money.

I could go on and on.

But for me and what I do, this is truly revolutionary and I do it each and every day.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Sorry,

Thanks Jim!!!!

P.
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Riegsecker
    I would like to see this thread go awhile longer. Because I don't see any advantage here with this morticer than what many of us have been doing in the past. I have a mortiser attached to my table saw that I've used for years then make my own tenons according to the size of the mortice.

How is this better than the emello (I know I spelled it wrong). Or the plunge mortisers that have become popular about 5 years ago?

We're not just getting excited because it's Festool are we? If it's that great that everyone should have one, then convince me so I can get one at the introductory discount price.

Mark
    Mark.
    I'm fairly interested in this tool also. I don't own any Festool products, ergo I have no bias one way or the other. I'm not a fan of loose tenon joinery, but......
    It will be interesting to see what folks like Per and his father Bob do with it, and find ways to adapt it to their work. Their work is exceptional, and we'll find out in short order the up and downsides.

I'm also hoping that Mark Singer gets ahold of one.

So Per, get one first and "put the boots to it".

I have a few Festools and they are excellent machines. This particular machine looks like it would have lots of application in on site work with trim carpentry and casework and to someone like Per could be a huge cost saver. But, I doubt that it is going to be something that a hobbiest is going to find as attractive. When plate jointers first came out many thought they were the door to the future. I have two, and they spend 99.9% of their time on a shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    I have a few Festools and they are excellent machines. This particular machine looks like it would have lots of application in on site work with trim carpentry and casework and to someone like Per could be a huge cost saver. But, I doubt that it is going to be something that a hobbiest is going to find as attractive. When plate jointers first came out many thought they were the door to the future. I have two, and they spend 99.9% of their time on a shelf.

Chris,

I obviously am not the most most objective person regarding the tool, so I will other who use the Domino chime in, but two things.

This tool may, indeed be out of the reach of many hobbyists, much as, the Leigh FMT would also be out of reach.
    However, though it shares a similar configuration/appearence and ease of use to a biscuit joiner, it is not just an alignment tool. It has way, way more applications in joinery.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Marino; 12-24-2006 at 1:00 PM.
    bob m

Mark and Mike...my impression from watching the demo/review at FW is that speed and precision are the key to this tool, and that's important to folks who do cabinetry, etc., for a living. But I think that Bob is correct that this particular tool isn't going to be "big" in the hobbiest market. It will sell there, but largely to the same type of demographic that buys the high-end jigs and other equipment.

I can't say that I'll even buy this particular tool, but I'm extremely impressed with it's design, precision and application and can see how it will kick things up a notch for folks who can benefit from it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10. I know some maloof style rocking chair builders who use and like it a lot. I don't think I'll want one.

Jim.
    My last big project had over 400 M&T joints. Even with a dedicated benchtop mortiser the job was very tedious.
    There was a lot of "tuning" as the project carried on.
    A tool like the Domino would have let me reference everything to the benchtop, and hopefully aleviated some of the tuning, thus saving a lot of time.

I'll let the big boys give the tool a run for it's money, but it could be my first Festool purchase. Ya' never know.

Festool Domino

In their book on Joinery, Taunton Press has a 4-page dissertation on floating tenons. They did a followup in the magazine where they did destructive strength testing on dowels, bisuits, loose tenons. Loose tenons are very strong.

Like a clunk, I just bought a Lamello $700 biscuit joiner. I think for sheet goods, it will continue to serve its function. But I want to build furniture, and for that floating tenons are the real answer. As someone mentioned here, the real advantage of the Domino is portability. My friend owns a window/door company and has a few Festool tools. For people in finish carpentry trades (especially flooring), Festool is a gift from heaven.

But I think I'll pass on the Domino since I am just a hobbyist and do everything in my shopl. To take advantage of the Domino technology, I'll use my router (mounted in the WoodRat) to cut the mortises, and then simply buy the loose tenon stock from Festool. I think the challenge for precision with Domino will be to clamp the workpiece while plunging the mortise. That's the challenge with Biscuits, but they allow for some lateral slop in the gluing up. Both pieces joined by the Domino have to be dead on, with no play.

So, added to the $800 for the Domino, throw in another $440+ for the Multi Function Table.

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis
    That's the challenge with Biscuits, but they allow for some lateral slop in the gluing up. Both pieces joined by the Domino have to be dead on, with no play.

Gary Curtis
    If the Festool tenons are too restrictive, We can make our own tenons. We can make our joints as adjustable as they need to be. 1/16" should be plenty.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Domino

Mitchell, the Festool tenons get their strength from having tight-fitting shoulders. It's the cutting of the mortise that would demand exact placement.

Whereas Biscuits allow for a fair amount of lateral play without sacrificing strength. The Lamello machine I have is heavy, it has rubber contact points on the fence, and you only plunge straigth in for a cut. So placement is not a challenge.

The Domino certainly looks beefy, but the joint itself allows no margin for error. Besides, the cutting but oscillates left to right.I'm just thinking that work clamping is going to be an issue.

Maybe the Domino fence has rubber feet or something to minimize movement of the work during the cut. So the portability of the machine is a minus because I'll do everything in my shop. But finish carpenters will love it, I bet.

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis
    The Domino certainly looks beefy, but the joint itself allows no margin for error.
    Not quite true, actually. Only the first mortise has to be exact. There is an adjustment on the Domino that then allows the remaining mortises to be cut slightly oversize (laterally) for an accurate fit. In fact, Festool recommend using it that way.

I should think clamping would be no more difficult than clamping to use a biscuit joiner.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.