Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Festool Domino

Silly me,

I have converted to Festool exclusively on the job site.

And the only thing I know about the metric system

is Virgina Slims were a silly millimeter longer.

All I use is a pencil....to put a mark and story sticks to remember

them..

#2 Ticonderoga I might add.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

2. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer
    Any idea how much of a copyright that festool would have on the dominoe? Could someone copy the design easily? Im sure porter cable and dewalt are eyeballing their own version.
    The Domino Tenon is patented, so depending on the scope of the patent, it is not likely to be duplicated. Furthermore, the custom equipement to make them is also quite spendy, so it won't be a simple upstart operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell
    Who you calling a troll? What the heck is a troll? I'm starting to detect a rather glib attitude. SMILE
    Like I said, I don't know you, but the message read like one.

Anyway, for the educational aspect: definition of troll/trolling. In short, it is a message posted just to raise hackles, and is the type of thing that usually signals that the thread is near its end

Pete

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell
    xenophobe-"One unduly fearful or contemptuous of strangers or foreigners" Before you name-call....you should know what it means. Can you really blame a guy who has used the Imperial system exclusively for 57 years, to be a little apprehensive about learning a new numerical system? And by the way, I have been around the world, including Down Under and Southeast Asia, and I can tell you for certain that I harbor no fears of either strangers or foreigners.
    FOr completion you omitted 'hatred....of their politics or culture'. I suppose that one would have to read your (since deleted) post from a 'foreign' point of view to read between the lines - it's pretty 'out there' and parochial, for a BB accessible by other non-great Nations. I can understand not wanting to change - my dad is just the same (he will measure '1m and 9/16!', so is sort of getting there), but after all folks thought the earth was flat, sun moved around us etc etc for hundreds of years - didn't mean that they were right.

Each to their own. The thing is, Herr Doktor didn't give anyone a choice.

BTW if you ignore measurements like centimetre, decimetre and even the metre, you only have one to deal with - the millimetre, or fractions of it. Plans done to ISO standards have only mm on them - easy!

SO 9/16=0.56"x25.4=14.28mm - call it 14mm. no worries.

1"3 9/32"=15.28"*25.4=388.11mm call it 388mm, and consider changing the plan to 390 or even 400mm.
    Regards from Tasmania, Australia

Den

The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis O'Leary
    FOr completion you omitted 'hatred....of their politics or culture'. I suppose that one would have to read your (since deleted) post from a 'foreign' point of view to read between the lines - it's pretty 'out there' and parochial, for a BB accessible by other non-great Nations. I can understand not wanting to change - my dad is just the same (he will measure '1m and 9/16!', so is sort of getting there), but after all folks thought the earth was flat, sun moved around us etc etc for hundreds of years - didn't mean that they were right.

Each to their own. The thing is, Herr Doktor didn't give anyone a choice.

BTW if you ignore measurements like centimetre, decimetre and even the metre, you only have one to deal with - the millimetre, or fractions of it. Plans done to ISO standards have only mm on them - easy!

SO 9/16=0.56"x25.4=14.28mm - call it 14mm. no worries.

1"3 9/32"=15.28"*25.4=388.11mm call it 388mm, and consider changing the plan to 390 or even 400mm.
    Good nite Dennis...Dennis good nite....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dailey
    Rick,

Well said!!!

I am please to see the guys from "Down Under" posting here. I've both enjoyed & learn form the posts on their site. No one has a monopoly on good ideas....

Unfortunately "some" Americans have given the World the impression that "All" Americans have a monopoly on arrogance...

Let's end this here.

The tone on SMC is friendly.

Let's keep SMC a friendly site.

Let's keep it positive.

jim
    Thanks Jim,

That, also, was well said. Because this thread is getting off topic and moving in a negative direction - probably because everything that needs to be said about the Domino has been said - we'll be closing this thread now. Thanks to those who've added to the good info about Domino. I'm sure the subject will come up again.

Thanks for your understanding.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell
    Good nite Dennis...Dennis good nite....
    Gary your indignation makes me ashamed to be an American!!!

Do you have any idea how your previous posting is being circulated across the planet as a mockery of the American viewpoint of the international culture we live in? Poeple don't see this as just one single cranky old man; they see this as representative of all of us.

This country fought for the right to voice our own opinions, but there are times when you need to keep your narrow opinons to yourself too. Freedom of speech is based on responsibility. Take some responsibility. The world has grown a little larger than just a few city blocks that word of mouth can spread.

Rick,

Well said!!!

I am please to see the guys from "Down Under" posting here. I've both enjoyed & learn form the posts on their site. No one has a monopoly on good ideas....

Unfortunately "some" Americans have given the World the impression that "All" Americans have a monopoly on arrogance...

Let's end this here.

The tone on SMC is friendly.

Let's keep SMC a friendly site.

Let's keep it positive.

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........