Thread: Air Compressor Location

Air Compressor Location

I searched the Creek but could not find an answer so...

I have a basement WW shop and also a garage shop for working on cars. I spend proportionally more time in the WW shop than the garage shop. I also live in Wisconsin where the weather can vary a lot - hot/humid summers and cold winters. Why do I live here again? Oh yeah, da Packers and Badgers.

I would like to get by with one air compressor to serve both shops via a common air line. The basement and the garge share a wall so distance is not really an issue. I am having a hard time deciding if the compressor should be located in the basement or in the garage. Of course, moisture/condensation is the major issue here as I can put up with the noise.

Any thoughts on the best location? I know my fellow Creekers will have something to say about this.

Jeff.

Jeff,

I live in Wisconsin as well and have a similar situation as you. I chose to put the compressor in the garage and ran a good quality rubber air hose through the garage wall into my basement shop. I can't say I've had a problem with humidity but am looking at a water filter to add to my compressor for spraying purposes. I don't intend to spray finishes in the basement as I don't have a good set up for that. I mainly use the air in the basement for blowing sawdust off of things and to operate my brad and finish nailers. I like the noise in the garage. Just my $.02 worth.

Jeff, you better put it in the garage. If you put it in the basement, your wife will explain the noise problem to you in no uncertain terms, so save yourself a move by putting it in the garage.
    Best Regards, Ken

I put mine (80 gal 2 stage) in the basement in a corner. The garage space is just to valuable. Plus I do not have the water problems in the humid summer air (I live in MD).

I installed type "L" copper throughout the basement and up into the garage when I built my home.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Assorted cheese in a row .
    He guys, just a little consideration for temps up here in God's country.
    I change the oil in the spring whether it needs it or not and then every 40 hrs of use.
    Empty the tank often with winter use.
    I pre heat the compressor with a magnetic block heater for temps below 30*.
    You can wire up a out let to control the AC from the house.
    Make sure you can drain your lines
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Jeff,

I don't have the problem that you are describing, but I am a PACKER fan! Going on almost 50 years!
    If it were me I would put it in the garage! It would make it easier to service if a problem arose.

Just my $.02's
    Bigger is better, too much is just right!

I live in Colorado and we get the cold just not for as long and definetly nor as humid as you get. We used to do annual meeting as Lake Geneva and I learned about cold and humidity one november. But what I did is I built a little shed out side for the compressor as garage real estate is precious as you know. I bought synthetic oil and added a copper extension witha ball valve outside the box for the drain. But it seems to be working fine. If this is not an option I would go with a garage location, for noise and any oil or drain staining that may occur. I used copper lines for the air and rubber line at terminal points for stress relief.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Same situation, I chose the garage. Changing the oil and draining the tank can get a little messy, I prefer the mess in the garage over the shop. Compressor also generates heat and minor amount of odor, again I prefer the garage. Space and noise were minor considerations for me as I have a sound deadening closet in my shop that would hold the compressor if need be.
    Jay St. Peter

Rob Will Guest
    Any possibility of building a platform for the compressor high on an outside wall of the garage? Depending on how heavy your compressor is this approach might save some floor space. A horizontal compressor would work even better. Be sure and bolt it down.

I would put the compressor out of the way and spend a few $ on running 3/4" steel pipe near the ceiling with a drop in the garage and another (or two) in the basement. Put an air hose reel at both locations along with a water drain.

At the compressor, I usually use a piece of hydraulic hose about 3' long with JIC swivel connectors on both ends to isolate the compressor from the building and make it easy to disconnect.

Again, the location all depends on how big your compressor is.

Rob

The compromise is put it in the shop for "weather" control, but in an isolation enclosure to cut the noise.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeff,
    Since your shop and garage share a wall, is it possible for you to enclose your compressor in a heat and sound insulated cabinet in the garage, and blow heated shop air thru that cabinet? The sides of the cabinet could be hinged for access, and a worktable could be the top. If not ventilated by a fan to the shop, a small wattage light bulb could keep the compressor warm enough.

Frank

Thanks!

Thank you all for your advice.

Jeff.