Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: portable sawmill

portable sawmill

Does anyone have any experience milling their own lumber?I have been toying with the idea, especially when I look at some of the tall pine.
    lumber 2.JPG
    There are some smaller mills that handle a 16" x 16" beam that have a 6.5 hp motor that retail for ~ $1700. When I consider the cost/ time factor of taking it to a local, it would pay for itself after the fourth job. Two problems: I have no need for four jobs worth of wood and I have no experience with this type of tool. It looks relatively simple but...

Thanx

Karl

I think the real question is 'Do you want a new hobby, sawmilling'

If you are just thinking of time and money, take the easy way and pay someone with a big hydralic mill to cut up your logs.

If you actually want to cut your own wood, then yes you can. But it's hard work, especially with an all manual mill. YOU have to roll the log around on the bed to reposition it. There is plenty to learn about sawing, keeping the mill tuned and how to get the best yield from different logs etc.
    The various mills pretty much work as advertised, but you do get what you pay for. Mostly in speed and convenience.
    You will never be short of wood again though

Be warned it's addictive and a slippery slope once you start sawing

Ian

Everything Ian said!!!! I found out its sort of like turning. You get the mill then you want accesories to go with the mill, First will be nice bright blue Logrite log cant to turn logs. Then your going to be looking at skidsteers or a tractor with a loader for handling logs, then your going to start looking at bigger mills. Next thing you know theres are stacks of lumber all around you , logs waiting to be sawed and people calling wanting you to saw their logs for next to nothing.

Contact Woodmizer, find a sawyer in your area and have him/her do the work. It will cost you far less than buying your own mill...unless you want to get in to the business. If you do, be prepared for a lot of VERY hard work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

band mills are fun and work great. most do require some way of getting the mill to the log or the log to the mill. so there is always the logistics of that. I have a norwood and like it. if this is the only time your going to saw up lumber, then pay a local guy and be done with it
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Contact Woodmizer, find a sawyer in your area and have him/her do the work. It will cost you far less than buying your own mill...unless you want to get in to the business. If you do, be prepared for a lot of VERY hard work.
    Quote for Truth. When you talk to Woodmizer, tell them you want someone who has a hydraulic rig. It's much faster, and less work. Since most charge by the time it takes to mill, the more you can help, and the better organized you are, the better.

In my experience, 8' logs are as large as most Woodmizers can handle, and 36" diameter is the biggest around (although I don't know how you would cant a 36" diameter log without a tractor and loader). I had over 350 bft of cherry and maple (combined) that I had milled in place for $125. I helped a lot, but it was less than 60 minutes from the time the sawyer pulled up to the time he left. I tipped him another $25, just because he was a great sawyer and a good guy. I still got all that wood for less than $.50 per board foot.

For me, it's well worth it to call and pay the reasonable charge . . . but interview your sawyers carefully before you commit to one.

Adventures in Milling

About a year ago, I bought a chainsaw and Beammaker and began cutting up logs for my own wood. I also built the dehumidification kiln featured in a recent "Woodwork" magazine and having been drying it as I go.

While different than bandmills, my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.

1. It's hard work, but not too bad. I like a good sweat every now and then.
    2. I have been given a LOT of logs and have had a great time sawing thm up with friends.
    3. I now have about 3000 bd ft. of lumber in my stockpile. Comprised of maple, (soft and hard), black walnut(most 30inches wide and 8 ft. long), oak, (red and white), ash(wide and curly), cottonwood and some pine. I paid a grand total of $0 for all of it, save the cost of gas, bar oil and chain sharpenings(probably $200.00, all told).

All in all, it's a great extra-avocation avocation, if you get my meaning. I find it quasi-cathartic and a tremendous stress-reliever. One can't contemplate serious matters when trying to concentrate on cutting lumber. I have found it very satisfying and LOVE that I haven't paid a dime for quality lumber in over a year.

Best,
    Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

8. Another option is to get a smaller mill (I can get the name of it if you'd like, I could only find one maker that makes them like this) that is basically a small bandsaw that uses a chainsaw engine to power it. This particular one has a capacity for 14" cutting, so it means that you have to fool a little bit with the logs if they're bigger by splitting them down the middle (or in 1/4ths if necessary) with a chainsaw to get them to proper size. My Dad and I used one of these for years and it worked great if you don't mind putting a little more work into it. Also, it's a bit cheaper (the last time I checked). It also eases you the whole new world of learning about how to saw, how to dry, finding space to put your lumber, etc. since you won't be able to crank out tons of lumber at a time. All in all, it's a great way to get lumber that you enjoy more and like others have mentioned, it gets more fun as you do it.

Thanx all. I think the comment about friends asking for cutting favors is the best advice. Ask LOML. I can't say no. I'll dig further for a local. The two true mills in my area require I bring it to them and aren't cheap. It's also difficult getting it to them. I'll contact Woodmizer and see if anyone makes house calls. The pricing some of you quoted is inspiring!

Karl

Hi Karl....if it's a one time thing hire it out....it will be less $$$ and effort...the biggest savings in milling your own lumber comes from sweat equity....lots of sweat...it is labor-intensive work...kinda fun though I use a chainsaw mill as a hobby only but have some great lumber as a result.

Also....welcome Marci....the mill you are talking about is the Ripsaw mill...it's a very handy little mill....it was actually the first mill I used and got me hooked!! It was also availible as an electric model using an angle grinder motor...nice tool that was...anyway, welcome to the creek.
    Regards,
    Greg

I too use a chainsaw mill, becuase I only do this once in awhile, hard work? Yes , but very satisfying to make a piece of furniture from a tree you cut down yorself!

I had a LT-30 Woodmizer for ten years.
    Ended up selling it as after I got my cabinet shop up and running, I found I did not have the time to process my own lumber also.

Oh. Standard cut length on all their mills is 16' 6", except for the LT-15

Karl,

What Ian said is right. I started down the slippery slope of sawmilling in May 2005 with a Logosol TimberJig. I then upgraded to a WoodWorkers Mill in Summer 2006. It has been a lot of fun, but a lot of work (dont have to workout at the gym).

I have cut a bunch of walnut, cherry, oak, pine lumber with this setup, and plan to for many years. My goal was to not have to buy hardwood lumber for my projects. I have achieved that. The nice thing about chainsaw mills is that the investment is low, so you can use it occasionally over many years without feeling guilty about it. I upgraded to the Woodworkers Mill because it is much easier on the body to use - can use standing up and you crank the saw through the wood, instead of pushing. You can also cut more wood in less time compared to Alaskan mill or Timberjig.

You can learn alot more about chainsaw milling by visiting Logosol's website and the Arboristsite website (milling section).

Ted
    Last edited by Ted Christiansen; 12-12-2006 at 7:34 PM.

Karl,
    There are many sawyers near you with portable mills. Your local DEC forester can supply you with some names as well as Woodmizer, Norwood, and HUD-Son.

Have some one do your cutting for you. There is the cost of the mill, hand equipment, tractor to move logs etc.

There is also a large learning curve to cutting logs correctly and stickering them. By the time you get through the learning curve you have cut up two or three wood lots.

Local costs are about $45-50 hour for man and saw. You act as tailman. After set up about 200 bd ft. per hour for soft woods and 150 hardwoods for a full hydralic mill. will need to pay for travel time. This eliminates moving saw for 1 or 2 logs.