Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forrest saw blades

Forrest saw blades

I just want to say that this Forum has been a wealth of information, and I appreciate everyone's input. My question is in regards to recommendations on 2 saw blades. I need a quality 12" crosscut blade for my sliding miter saw, and a 10" rip for my table saw. I have heard that the Forrest blades, specifically the Chopmaster 12"x80T 30 degree ATBR 5 degree neg. face hook is a great blade. They also make a 10" x24 safety rip blade. I work with hardwoods up to 8/4. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Merrill

I have the Forrest 12" ChopMaster and have been satisfied with it. I haven't tried any others so I can't make a comparison.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi Merill, I have the woodworker ll custom-40 tooth,atf tooth style for fat bottom kerfs,and it has 20degree rake. I've had it on my tablesaw for three years now and I'm very happy I got it! 99% of the time I cut hardwood and she still cuts like a dream.

I put the 12" ChopMaster on my CMS this past year and it's a whole new saw. (I run Forrest blades on my TS, too)

BTW, there is a brand new ChopMaster for sale right now in the SMC Free Classifieds Forum for a VERY good price.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chopmaster! Excellent blade. I use it in place of the stock blade that came with my DeWalt compound miter saw.

It leaves a very smooth surface.

I also use a thin kerf WW2 on my TS. Excellent.

Keep 'em clean. I let my first WW2 gum up and it got a hot spot and warped. It's not so nice now even after Forrest "straightened" it.

It is hard to go wrong with a Forrest blade. I use the Chopmaster in my Hitachi SCMS and get consistently smooth cuts in all types of material. I don't have a Forrest rip blade, but I do use my WWII for ripping up to an inch in thickness. I would not hesitate to buy the rip blade if I needed a new one.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I forgot to mention I do have a Forrest 20t WW-II ripping blade for my TS. I only use it for thick material, but it goes through "like butter". Now, the finish isn't good like with the WW-II 40t I run normally, but for dedicated ripping, it's a winner for me. The Freud ripping blade would be the alternative I'd suggest for that function, but only for thicker material. The regular 30 or 40t WW-II rips beautifully up to about an inch in my experience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The 12" Chopmaster has been on my CMS since "Day-1" and I wouldn't trade it for anything! Then, as Jim B. mentions, for thick material, the WWII, 20-tooth just totally rules! I've tried the Dewalt & Freud ripping blades and they just pale in comparison to the 20 tooth Forrest. I've recommended both to a lot of folks at the store where I work part time and have had zero negative feedback on either blade. In fact, a number of the guys have made it a point to look me up to offer their "thanks" in recommending them.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have a WWII 30T TK on my TS, and it cuts phenomenally better than the mid range blade I had on before. After seeing (and feeling) that difference, I plan on getting a Forrest blade for my mitre saw.
    Also, if you don't have one already, another thing that made a considerable difference in the quality of my cuts was investing in a good dial indicator/feeler gauge - I thought my setups were pretty accurate, but being able to align things within a few thousanths of an inch really improves performance.
    Last edited by Jesse Thornton; 12-11-2006 at 1:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Neg. hook for you slider. Many folks here use Forrest almost exclusively. I like my WWII as a general purpose blade but reach for my Freuds for task specific cuts. I believe I am the minority.

In fairness I have not used Forrest task specific blades but also hear the Chopmaster is a gem.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I have a WWI on my RAS, a WWII 40T on my TS and Chopmasters on my 2 miter saws. I learned long ago (14yrs) that you cannot beat Forrest blades.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I have the Forrest 12" Chop Master, 10" veneer blade, 10" 30 tooth rip blade and the their 7 1/4" veneer blade for my circular saw. Forrest all the way!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I have a WWI on my RAS, a WWII 40T on my TS and Chopmasters on my 2 miter saws. I learned long ago (14yrs) that you cannot beat Forrest blades.
    Ken, I'm SO disappointed in you! As soon as I saw a reply from you on this thread, I thought for certain I'd be seeing the familiar:
    "Nothing runs like a Deere or cuts like a Forrest!"
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Forrest blades

Thanks for everyones input, it seems as if it will be Forrest all the way. They sound to good to be true.

I'm new to woodworking and based on recommendations from this board, I purchased the Forrest Dado King and a 10" Duraline 80 tooth. I like the blades so much, I just ordered a 12" General Purpose blade. The only reservation I have is they charge an extra $30 for two pin holes my Hammer K3 requires. I don't think you could find a better company to deal with or one with better quality.