Thread: Saw Blade Repair

Saw Blade Repair

I have a Tenryu 10X24 narrow kerf rip blade that is very new. I normally use it for cutting off box lids. It wastes very little material and gives a smooth cut. Last night a friend noticed it was missing a tooth!. Can someone recommend a good sharpening and repair service for this blade. After getting it fixed, I'll send them my Woodworker II Blade for cleaning and sharpening. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Forrest will do any saw blade. Maybe you can get a special from them for two blades.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What Mike said...I'd send it to Forrest. They do nice work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim and Mike: Thanks for the info and I have the blade sitting out for UPS to pick up this afternoon. Had to keep my WW II blade here since I only have the two that fit the table saw. BTW, the WW II has been through everything including cutting screws accidentaly and my aluminum miter gauge once. All the teeth are still there and in good shape. It also still seems to be sharp! I must admit to being a WW II fan.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

I lost a tooth from my WWII in a board a while back. I sent it to them and they sent a new blade, no questions asked!
    Scott

I hit a staple in one of those upc tags on the end of a piece of lumber with my Forrest WW II. Three teeth bit the dust. One was completely gone. For the princley sum of $52.00, I sent it to Forrest and had it fixed. This price includes freight both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn
    I hit a staple in one of those upc tags on the end of a piece of lumber with my Forrest WW II. Three teeth bit the dust.....
    Does this sound weird to anyone?? Those staples...at least the ones I've seen...are very tiny and shouldn't do much if any damage to a saw tooth??

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn
    I hit a staple in one of those upc tags on the end of a piece of lumber with my Forrest WW II. Three teeth bit the dust. One was completely gone. For the princley sum of $52.00, I sent it to Forrest and had it fixed. This price includes freight both ways.
    How much did the blade cost in the beginning ( if you don't mind me asking )? We have a hardware store that sends blades out to be repaired and sharpened, most of the time the repair is as much as a new blade. Is this normal?

Thanks donnie wood
    Turning makes the world go 'round!

Scott Whiting in Glendale, AZ is a well respected sharpener who is a member of some of these wwing forums. You might consider him...

http://sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=42
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-10-2006 at 7:08 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Ridge Carbide replaced a tooth that I had chipped on one of my blades when I sent it in for sharpening. It was $5 to replace the tooth.

CPeter

I have a WWII that had 9, yea nine, chipped teeth. Have not idea how I did it but it had to have been a staple or brad nail of some sort. Question is, will it cost as much to send it back for repair as replacing it with a new blade? Probably not, but is the difference worth it? I would think for another $30 I could get a new one. What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve LaFara
    I have a WWII that had 9, yea nine, chipped teeth. Have not idea how I did it but it had to have been a staple or brad nail of some sort. Question is, will it cost as much to send it back for repair as replacing it with a new blade? Probably not, but is the difference worth it? I would think for another $30 I could get a new one. What should I do?
    First, has the quality of the cut deminished? If not, keep cutting. I paid about $3.50 per tooth, plus a "top grind" ($7.00 extra), along with the twenty bucks they charge for sharpening. When I bought this WWII at a Woodworking Show, I paid $90. Local Rockler sells WWII for $105.99, but almost every other month has a 25% off offer on any one item, which brings price down to about $80+tax. Dynamic saw in Buffalo beats Forrest sharpening prices all to pieces. I have hit staples over the years with other brands of blades with no damage, so I was SURPRISED to see that the "cadillac" of blades shed some teeth. Two were badly chipped, and one was completely missing. But, I did get back a blade that is "factory new". Haven't used it again yet, as the Oldham Signature blade that I bought on clearance for $15.00, cuts just as well. I would seriously look a DeWalt forty tooth general purpose blade in future. Less than fifty bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    Does this sound weird to anyone?? Those staples...at least the ones I've seen...are very tiny and shouldn't do much if any damage to a saw tooth??
    I just cut through about six 15ga nails today with my WWII and can see no damage. It is still cutting real smooth. May be I just got lucky. I was really holding my breath when I when looked at the cutoff piece and saw the nails---and I had put them there earlier in the day. Dumb and Dumber.

Oldham

Bruce, which model Oldham do you have? I have seen either praises or rants about Oldham so I have passed on grabbing one for general purpose stuff.

Jake