Thread: New Variable speed Jet Mini-lathe?

Smile New Variable speed Jet Mini-lathe?

Hi Folks,
    I'm considering the new VS Jet mini for use up at my cabin. The PM 3520 is getting a bit heavy to carry back and forth for an old guy like me.

Has anyone had any experience with this lathe. I've seen its predecessor and have been impressed. What is the Morse taper on the unit? I've seen both #1 and #2 in different catalogs. Do you think that the bearings can support an adapted (from 1 1/8" 8 tpi) Nova Chuck? Does it have reverse for sanding. I'm such a terrific turner that I usually get an 800 grit finish right off the tool -- but -- sometimes I get a 20 grit or a 40 grit.

Any comments will be appreciated. I'm really close to buying the thing.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Dale, I recently received my VS Jet Mini, and I think it is an awesome machine. It is built very solidly, and I have used my Talon Chuck on it several times, and it works fine. I would think that it will support a decent sized chuck with no problem. My Mini uses #2 Morse Taper, so I don't know about the #1 taper, I have not seen one with the #1. Although I haven't turn extensively with the Mini yet, I have turned some good sized bowls, and it had all the power I have needed, and then some. IMO, it is a excellent machine for the Dollar. You are correct, the Mini is portable enough to take along to your cabin, without breaking your back getting it there.