View Poll Results: How much do you use 1/64" Plywood?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Often (1 sheet/file per day)

1 5.56%
  • Sometimes (1 sheet/file per week)

1 5.56%
  • Rarely (1 sheet/file per month)

3 16.67%
  • Never

13 72.22%

Thread: 1/64th Inch Plywood Substitute

Question 1/64th Inch Plywood Substitute

Hello everyone,

I've been working with quite a bit of 1/64th in Finish Birch plywood from Midwest Products Co. The thickness is a great approximation of what you would use for 2" thick materials for modelling. It's also fairly rugged. I can cleanly cut to a thickness between cuts of 0.016" without becoming charcoal.

On the down side, its cutting speed it unbelievably slow. I'm running a file right now that takes 4 hours to cut one sheet of 12" x 24" pieces. Not bad if you don't mind living with your machine.

I'm attaching a picture of an example of what I've been able to do. It's a shot of a 48" x 40" wooden pallet scaled down to 1/87th the original size. The amusing part about this is that I am very passionate about this work, but I find it unbelievably anal to make jewelry. Too bad for my lovely wife.

So, here's the question. Does anyone have any suggestions for substition materials?

Looking forward to your reply,

John Esberg
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,

A couple of those pallets would look great on your wife's ears!!

Are you saying that the 1/64th takes longer than 1/8" to cut? I run that at a speed of 25. Perhaps it's just that you are running a lot of very small pieces. You can use card stock (business car weight) which should cut faster, but unless you have a vacuum table you'll lose pieces out the exhaust. I have a piece of plastic screen cut to size that I velcro on for that so the air goes thru but not the parts.

BTW, you have a lot more patience than I to do stuff that small. Probably better eyes too!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

You would be surprised...

Joe,

Since I work in SMALL detail on my pieces with minimum clearances between cuts of 0.017", I can't just go blasting through the material. A gentle touch really counts here. So, in most cases this material takes MUCH, MUCH, MUCH longer to cut than 1/8" woods. Please note that this is an "engineered" wood product.

As for falling pieces, I don't worry about it. I put 0.02" tabs on everything so I don't have that problem. After its done cutting, you cut the pieces apart with a #1 hobby knife with a nice sharp blade.

One last thing, you need good lighting for detail this small. I recommend an Ott light. (spelling on that name) Its good and bright, but doesn't blind you.

Gotta go,

DAK

Quote Originally Posted by John Esberg
    Joe,

One last thing, you need good lighting for detail this small. I recommend an Ott light. (spelling on that name) Its good and bright, but doesn't blind you.
    DAK
    My wife has a couple of those for sewing and quilting, maybe I should get one too. Better yet when I get the shop moved to the house in jut another week I'll borrow hers while she's at work.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Just a thought here John, How about making your own plywood? You'd have total control over ply thickness, number of layers and direction of stratta (my new word for the day), thickness and type of adhesive....
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

How about paper-backed veneer? If nothing else, it gives you some flexibility on color.

(Start here, click on 'flexible veneer'. The adhesive-backed variant is also useful for some applications, no pun intended.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.