Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • your own experiences

5 62.50%
  • beginners and intermediate

3 37.50%

Thread: question for the forum ?

question for the forum ?

It seem to me that a lot of the howto books especially the ones on how to make jigs and such tend to leave out to some degree mesurements that are vital to the plan. If you are a beginner you get lost real quick and give up or try to think it through which you shouldn't have to do.After many years and many books and plans my children are now running into the same problems. My question is have you in the past or do you still run into this problem???
    good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment

Bob,

I have great admiration for people who build things on the fly and still have it turn out great. Part of this ability is just a gift and part is experience. I personally have to study and ponder plans well in advance of a project and constantly refer to them as I go along. If the plan has a major omission of info, I will certainly find it out.....after I have made the critical cut.

The upside of my need to study the plans, is that by the time I start a project, I am usually very clear in my head as to how to propceed.

RJ

Hi Bob. I rarely run into this problem, as I rarely build from published plans. I have built a few items from plans in books.

When I look at plans in books, or magazines, I look at the plans with an eye for understanding the construction and joinery approach, not so much for guidance on order of operations or dimensions or cut lists. Also, I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to style, wood choice for a given application, grain layout, joinery, finishing, proportions and scale, so I don't even try to look for plans.

With all my biases, I pretty much write out plans for my own stuff. To be efficient in the shop, I have to work out EVERY detail before I cut a particular group of pieces.

For instance, let's say I'm making a TV cabinet. First, I figure out the critical dimensions, either from the inside out or the outside in. If dimensions are known for a specific TV, I'll work from the inside out. If the piece has to fit an alcove, I work from the outside in. So, let's say I start with overall casework. I'll draw up plans for that and cut it out and assemble it. Now, I know exactly what I need for doors and drawers, which are then made. Then, I'll work out the mouldings. Perhaps you could call it a plan-as-you-go method. When I stall out in the shop, 9 times out of 10 it's because my plans are incomplete, which I then revisit, make a decision, and then go forward. Like RJ above, I have built a piece in my head before I ever start cutting.

When I see errors in books and magazines with dimensions, I feel an urge to contact the author and tell them the correction, which unfortunately is usually just a waste of my time in the big scheme of things. I just do't go there.

I built (attempted to build) a moisture meter from plans in one of the Fine Woodworking books - "Wood & How to Dry It." It didn't work. I even had a friend who is deep into electronics try and figure it out. He couldn't. I tried calling the author, which was futile. I was out some $$ then, and a LOT of time.

Todd.

Bob, for the most part, I do not use published plans. I have taken this path based on "posted corrections" found in our monthly magazines. "Ops, that was 12 feet, not 12 inches!" Of course the correction is a month in the rears - too late. I do most of planning using a CAD package or just a piece of paper and a pencil.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Dan Bussiere Guest
    I find that paper/pencil, patience and a whole lot of flexability works better than any pre-made store bought plan. Besides, I did it myself instead of copying someone else.
    Dan

I'm still new enough at this that I look at plans, and will follow them closely if they teach me something. But I find myself adapting them to the situation a lot - something's always a bit different, or I'd like it to be. What Todd said about understanding the approach being taken is right on it. I want to understand what's being done and why, so I can make the right tradeoffs for my situation (and sometimes even mood).

- Ed

Um, actually I'm not real good at following anyone's plans. Including my own. I get past that with lots of swearing and "design features."

If you know the following it will give you a good start on your own plans:
    1. Basic shape- circular, square, rectangular with proportions
    2. Joinery for critical joints
    3. design details like beading, etc.

With that, you glance at the plans, throw out what you don't like, use the rest, make some scribbled measurements, and away you go. As long as you follow the advice someone posted above, and make drawers after carcass, remember to leave stock for tenons, it will usually work out. If not, then you get to include "uniqueness" to a project. I'm trying to cut down on that myself, I'm thinking of joining a 12 step program. I hear there's a meeting in a local sawmill . . .