Thread: Ridgid spindle sander

Ridgid spindle sander

I saw the Ridgid spindle sander at Home Depot, priced at $199. So I checked Amazon and did not find one offered.

If you have used or own one of these machines, what is your opinion of its performance and/or quality? It looks like a big boy, has an adjustable split table, and can do more than simply spindle sand.

Al in Sedona, AZ

It was recently reviewed by FWW, and it pretty much killed the competition. Mainly for it's versatility since it was the only one that could be a belt sander as well).

HD is the sole retailers of Ridgid power tools (don't quote me on this). I've seen some on-line sellers but they sell only reconditioned Ridgid tools.

The Ridgid combination sander (it is also a belt sander) has been around for a while. I have the original version for a few years now. I think the only difference from the current version is the color scheme.

If you're looking for a sander in a production environment, or if you plan to use it everyday, look somewhere else. The Ridgid is not built for that.

But if you are like me, using the sander once every several weeks or so, it may be the ticket.

The best feature, IMHO, is its versatility: you can switch from spindle to belt sanding in less than a minute.

It is lightweighed. For a tool that is infrequently used, this can be a benefit. I bring it out and clamp it to a Workmate table when I need to use it, and bring it back to the shelf when I'm done. It is less likely to break my back.

Noise is about average. But I always wear earmuffs anyway. Its noise combined with that from a shopvac or a dust collector may be unbearable.

Dust collection, with a 2" port, is not great, but not bad either. I found dust collection is more efficient with my Fein shopvac than with my Grizzly dust collector.

I have owned one for 4 years now and I agree with Hoa, a good tool for the hobbist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoa Dinh
    HD is the sole retailers of Ridgid power tools (don't quote me on this). I've seen some on-line sellers but they sell only reconditioned Ridgid tools.

The Ridgid combination sander (it is also a belt sander) has been around for a while. I have the original version for a few years now. I think the only difference from the current version is the color scheme.

If you're looking for a sander in a production environment, or if you plan to use it everyday, look somewhere else. The Ridgid is not built for that.

But if you are like me, using the sander once every several weeks or so, it may be the ticket.

The best feature, IMHO, is its versatility: you can switch from spindle to belt sanding in less than a minute.

It is lightweighed. For a tool that is infrequently used, this can be a benefit. I bring it out and clamp it to a Workmate table when I need to use it, and bring it back to the shelf when I'm done. It is less likely to break my back.

Noise is about average. But I always wear earmuffs anyway. Its noise combined with that from a shopvac or a dust collector may be unbearable.

Dust collection, with a 2" port, is not great, but not bad either. I found dust collection is more efficient with my Fein shopvac than with my Grizzly dust collector.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Al:

I have one of the original models, and can echo what the others have already said. It's no heavy duty production machine, but it works well.

My only complaint is that I'm having a hard time finding sleeves that fit correctly. My local HD doesn't stock the Ridgid sleeves, and the Ryobi sleeves are just a tad too big. Next time I go to Highland Hardware I'll take the drums with me and see what I can find.
    Sam/Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chambers
    Al:

I have one of the original models, and can echo what the others have already said. It's no heavy duty production machine, but it works well.

My only complaint is that I'm having a hard time finding sleeves that fit correctly. My local HD doesn't stock the Ridgid sleeves, and the Ryobi sleeves are just a tad too big. Next time I go to Highland Hardware I'll take the drums with me and see what I can find.
    I think the sleeves I bought were Delta. Just check the length.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chambers
    My only complaint is that I'm having a hard time finding sleeves that fit correctly.
    I bought a box from Klingpspor's Woodworking Shop. It will last me at least the next 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoa Dinh
    I bought a box from Klingpspor's Woodworking Shop. It will last me at least the next 10 years.
    They make GREAT sanding products. I have been impress with how long the sand paper lasts.

Rigid Sander

I've had the Rigid sander for 3 years now and just bought a Jet OSS. The Rigid is handy to use in the flat sanding mode but is too light in the spindle sander mode. If I didn't have either I would go for the Jet, however I intend to keep the Rigid just to use it for flat sanding.

"The Rigid is handy to use in the flat sanding mode but is too light in the spindle sander mode."

Too light how? Do you not have it bolted down, or it vibrates, or...?

Thanks

I've had mine for 6+ years and even though I have a 6x89 horizontal sander, I'd buy another when it quits. Great for small, light jobs.

Mitch
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I had one for about 6 years just replaced. Best bang for your buck bar none!

I have had one for a year an no complaints. I mostly use the belt sander instead of the spindle.

I've only had mine for a little over a year, and it it every wears out.... another will take its place. I use both the belt and spindles, and they are quick and easy to change. The tilting table is handy as heck.

I previously had a Ryobi OSS, and it was fine. However, the Ridgid gets much more use simply because it also has the oscillating belt.

I don't remember reading any negative reports from owners of the Ridgid. That must account for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clevenger
    I don't remember reading any negative reports from owners of the Ridgid. That must account for something.
    Brian, there have been reports of tables that aren't square to the belt/spindle. I haven't experienced that on mine.
    Sam/Atlanta