Thread: Excellent Amazon Service!

Excellent Amazon Service!

I finally ordered the DeWalt 716 miter saw. Total cost was $276 delivered [it's a recon]. I decided I no longer needed a slider and opted for the 12" belt drive CMS. Ordered it from Amazon and decided to take a whirl through the new Amazon Prime option. This costs $79 a year, but the first month is free. It reduces overnight shipping costs to $3.99 per item and two day shipping is free.

Sure enough, I ordered the saw on Sunday evening and got it Tuesday morning. Only one small problem, the base was broken near the back on the left side 'foot'. I called Amazon and they told me they'd ship another one and that it would be here Thursday. I got home yesterday and there it was! I don't know how they did it, but it got here within 24 hours.

Needless to say I am impressed! I think the new option will save me a lot of money in the future. I buy recon tools a lot to save money...I saved over $130 on this purchase. Even with paying the $79 extra a year I will still save a bundle on overnight shipping and tools over buying them at the home centers or tool houses.

Dr. SWMBO has Amazon Prime and it's very convenient, given how much we order from them throughout the year. And it's available to anyone in your household...be sure you get your LOYL setup for it, too, if she is also an Amazon customer.

Congrats on the new saw!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Talking

I"m into year 2 of Prime. I just noticed this morning that they are finally marking items as "eligable" for prime. I hated having to click on an item just to find out that it was sold by a 3rd party.

I buy everything I can thru Amazon. It is hard to beat their prices, and I easily save $79 a year in gas. It's 20min each way to the nearest shopping area - 30 min out of my way if I stop on the way home from work. Each item I can buy from Amazon instead of making a trip, saves me at least 30min. That's worth a whole lot more than the gas money to me.

I can plan ahead for the 48 hour shipping, I couldn't deal with the "super saver" shipping -sometimes it would be in excess of 2 weeks!

When I first signed up, I ordered a couple heavy things overnight just for grins. My Jet mini lathe would have been in excess of $200 to ship overnight, but was $4 on prime!
    Dewey

Forgot to mention that of the dozens of transactions over the years, I've never had anything show up broken. I've had a few (less than 5) "issues" with promotion codes not going thru etc, that have been resolved by email w/i 24 hours. No waiting on hold on the phone. Seems that they have the ability to interrogate your transaction history. A couple emails have mentioned something like "We've researched your purchase history and you are certainly a customer we want to keep happy".

My only grumble w/ prime is it should give you a discount - maybe 20% -50% off of heavy things that need to be truck shipped. They aren't as competative in the "machinary" area due to truck shipping costs. I bought my tablesaw (PM2000) & bandsaw (Delta 14') for less locally.
    Dewey

A question for you guys that use Amazon a lot. I thought that they had some kind of deal where if they had a better price within 30 days of your purchase you got a credit. I do not see anything on their web site about this. Am I dreaming or is this something real?

Big Amazon fan here, too.

Allen, you're not dreaming but they discontinued the price matching policy a few months ago. It's a shame since I called them on it a lot. HOWEVER, the reps are still authorized to price match on a case by case basis. I suspect that if it's close, they'll give it to you. In fact, they did just that for me a few weeks ago. If they don't match it, hang up & call again & another rep may.

I have outfitted most of my shop from Amazon. The crown jewel is my PM2000 which I got for $1980 with free shipping.

Good job Kelly, that was pretty fast on the turn around. Let me know what you think about Amazon Prime. I've considered it, but I'm not sure if I order enough stuff from them to justify it.

What is Amazon Prime? I am sure I could read about it at their website but thought I might get a shorter answer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver
    What is Amazon Prime? I am sure I could read about it at their website but thought I might get a shorter answer here.
    You pay $79 and get unlimited free 2 day shipping and $3.99 per item 1 day shipping on products that Amazon sells that are eligible for "super saver shipping".

Basically, cry once per year on shipping costs, get your stuff fast.
    Dewey

Price credit

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    A question for you guys that use Amazon a lot. I thought that they had some kind of deal where if they had a better price within 30 days of your purchase you got a credit. I do not see anything on their web site about this. Am I dreaming or is this something real?
    Allen,

Amazon will credit the difference between your purchase price and the lower price within 30 days for items that they sell. Amazon has done such credits serval times for me recently. I'm not sure if they will match other retailer's price within 30 days. I haven't tried that, because Amazon is usually lower.

Thanks Rob and Hoang for the info. I would not expect them to match other retailers sales prices once you have made the purchase. In fact, it is quite nice of them to match their own prices for thiry days. And you are right, the Amazon prices are usually very good except in certain cases.

I agree that the prime service is excellent. i just received a bosch 1617evs (based on recs from this forum) and even though I did the standard 2-day shipping it came in less than 24 hours. needless to say but I had to spend an hour in the shop to get a feel for the new tool and I am quite impressed on how smooth it is. thanks again to everyone who shares their opinions.
    -Ben

Isnt Amazon the best! Please keep buying from them! I want my stock price to go up.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.