Thread: Beginning of the Grizzly G0513 BS review.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beginning of the Grizzly G0513 BS review.....

Hello everyone,

Got the new Grizzly G0513 Band Saw put together and setup today. The process took me an hour and a half or so. I took time to get pics of every feature and every step in the assembly and setup of the machine. I will have a full review on my site as soon as I can get it written.

Here are my inital thoughts.

This is one great machine!!!! I was amazed at the features and power of this BS!!!! It's on sale right now for $730 if you pick it up at
    Grizzly, or they offer $20 off shipping if you are not near a showroom.

Here are some of the features.

12" resaw capability

Geared rack and pinion stlye adjustment for the table and the guard/guide assy. The table has micro adjust and the guard has a height indicator. Nice touch.

Blade tracking window in the upper cabinet.

Quick change tension release lever. This feature is new to me too, but I am gonna like it!!!

2 - 4" DC ports and the lower cabinet has brushes for the blade and the lower wheel.

Urethane tires. The catalog says they are rubber, but they are bright yellow and the manual says they are urethane. Definitely not rubber anyway.

2 hp. motor. TEFC

Shipping weight is 321 lbs. The crate can not weigh more that 20, so the saw should weigh in around 300.

Euro roller disk guides both upper and lower. I really like these alot already. Easy to adjust and they performed fantastic.

Fence is standard. Not a super heavy duty, but it locks down tight and has a nice magnified cursor. The fence lifts off at any point on the rails.

About the nicest factory miter guage I've seen. Not comparable to the good aftermarkets, but still nice.

Handwheel blade tensioning with nice big guage and the window in the upper door allows you to see the gauge perfectly.

Table is 17" X 17". Perfectly flat and nicely ground. I had read that Grizz had had some tables that were not flat, but this one sure is.

All in all I am impressed. I had a G1019Z prior to buying the G0513. There is no comparison. It is a similar step up as when I went from the 6" jointer to the new Grizz 8". That's a big step!!!!!

I did some test cuts with the factory 1/2" 6 tpi blade. It is not very good. I'll have an assortment of Timberwolves on the way tomorrow. I did resaw some 3 1/2" red oak and you can see from the pic that even the factory blade did a nice job. I pushed hard and the machine never even slowed down. I will need to test further of course, but I don't think power will be a problem at all.

I began the duct for the saw today as well. The 2 4" posts are very well placed and the blade brush is in a little compartment that goes right to the port on the front of the saw. I believe that dust collection will be fantastic. I will have the ductwork complete and tested before I post the full review on my site.

So far so good for the G0513. It seems to be a fantasic piece of equipment at a unbelieveable price. I feel at this price range I could not have done any better.

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 11-03-2003 at 1:10 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]