Thread: Jessem Mast-R-Slide vs crosscut sled

Jessem Mast-R-Slide vs crosscut sled

I've read lots of positive things about the Jessem slider and saw it at my local Woodcraft--AND Rockler is doing one of their 25% off coupons for a single item, so I'm considering it. But I need some advice. I've been doing the bulk of my crosscutting using either a miter gauge for narrow pieces or my guided circular saw system for wider panels. But for various reasons I'd like to be able to crosscut the wider pieces on my table saw too. So one option is buying or building a crosscut sled or getting the Jessem setup. I realize that cost-wise these are in a different ball park, but have any of you used both and what are the advantages of one over the other? Since I've never used a crosscut sled I don't have a good idea of whether there are things it does better than the sliding Jessem device, or vice versa. I break down sheets of ply in my garage using a big table and the circular saw so would not use the TS for full sheets. Also, I do have an overarm blade guard with dust collecting capabilities and would like to be able to keep it in place for crosscuts--seems like it would be hard to do with a sled. I'd be interested in any thoughts people have.

I have one of the Jessem slider things and generally I like it a lot. I used to use my sled for all cross cutting that would fit into it, but now use the Jessem nearly all the time. The Jessem doesn't have a huge capacity, but it is bigger and more accurate than I find a large sled to be. I also like the ability to put the fence in both forward and rear positions. I have an overarm dust pickup also but find it to be largly ineffective when using a sled or the jessem.

The Jessem isn't a final answer for me. I dislike the fact that the saw table up next to the blade isn't sliding along with the fence. A sled is a better tool when cutting small stock because it's base acts like a sliding table. Much safer in my opinion. So, I think if you get the Jessem (25% off sound like a great deal) don't throw out your sleds. For myself, I'm keeping on using the Jessem but am starting to seriously consider a dedicated slider.

I had a sled for a couple years and then bought the Jessem last year at the Rockler sale. I like the Jessem a lot better. Its always on the saw, the fence is adjustable and its probably more accurate than the sled I made.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I bought my Dubby sled over 10 years ago and find it very capable. It is very light so I hang it near my TS. As far as accuracy is concerned.....my picture frames come out perfect every time (no gaps)
    And the price is just right( inexpensive)

Gary K.

I have the Jessem setup on my Uni and I absolutely love it. As was mentioned, it does not have a huge capacity but it more than meets my needs - it will not handle a full sheet of ply but breaking down with circular saw is not a problem for me. I have made a few sleds in the past and just never really liked them. They were bulky and never quite as accurate as I had hoped (although it could have been my constrction of the sled). Having used it for at least 6-months now 25% off would be a no-brainer for me.

Another poster mentioned cross-cutting short stuff - I don't do much of that but it would be unsafe with the Jessem. For that I would likley build a small sled.

Another benefit of the Jessem over a sled is that you get to use the entire vertical capacity of your saw / blade should you ever need to.

took the plunge

Thanks for the responses. After reading posts here on SMC and elsewhere I decided to go for it so zipped over to Rockler early this morning and grabbed one at 25% off, along with a nice deal for 4 of the new Jet clamps (31") for $100. Once I get it set up I'll post some impressions. The only bummer about the installation is that I will first need to move the fence rails over to the right which requires reither redrilling holes on the rail, or redrilling them on the saw's table top. I could also saw off the ends, but moving them will increase my rip capacity a bit so I prefer that route.

Hi
    Do you sill like the Mast-R-Slide Cross-Cut Table
    I am looking for a Slide Cross-Cut table
    Is theree one you would like more then that one
    George
    Attached Images Attached Images

The thing that is really nice about the Jessem slider is that it gives you 36" of cutting travel with only 8-10" of additional space. No extra support legs are needs either. Mine was easy to set up and I really enjoy using it.
    Gary

fence adjustment on mast-r-slide

I've been using my slider for over a year and really enjoy its functionality. However I miss the fine adjustment available on the stop on my incra miter guage. Has anyone contrived a way to emulate this functionality on either the slider or the jessem miter guage.
    thanks in advance