Thread: woodturning is a royal pain in my neck!

woodturning is a royal pain in my neck!

Ha got ya!
    Seriously it seems like any time I spend any length of time at the lathe, like tonight, I end up with a seriously hurting neck & upper back. Now I actually think my lathe is mounted too high but it seems to me that this problem would be caused by it being mounted too low.

So what's a good rule of thumb for comfortable working height of a lathe? I remember Bill sizing me up for turning on his poolewood when I took my lesson. I think he said the center line of the headstock should be about elbow high - am I remembering that right?
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Lathe Height

Tom, good to hear you are turning...........but not so good to hear it is causing you problems. I have either read or saw on a Video that the proper height of your Lathe should be the same as your elbow height, and you are correct that the height of the center of the headstock should equal that measurement. I have not had any aches and pains associated with turning as of yet, but I have checked the measurement specs of my lathes, and elbow height is about where they are. This seems to offer the optimum tool height as well. Turning is supposed to be fun, and if it causes aches and pains, that ain't my idea of fun!

Tom,

Though less likely than the work height, your standing surface can also be a cause. If you are standing on concrete without moving around, aches and pains are the result - usually calf and lower back. But, some people are good at revising their stance to reduce the lower back strain, and without knowing it cause strain in other areas. I usually find my forehead hurts - something to do with the dent in the concrete wall - though I digress.

Oh, as Kevin says, I understand elbow high is optimal as well.

Wes

Hey Tom....glad you are making "spinny things".....

From all me reading and research and now on my own lathe, the height is supposed to be "center of the spindle at your elbow". Depending on your type of turning it could even be above the elbow line.

Post us a pic or two of those roundy thangs.!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Tom, the starting point for lathe height would be where your elbow is when you are standing relaxed with your arms at your side and your arm bent so your hand is in front of you. From there, they type of turnings you do and the configuration of your particular lathe will come into play...this is about comfort and is not something that has an exact formula.

Wes brings up an excellent point, too. If you don't have a comfortable anti-fatique floor mat in front of your lathe, run back to the show in Ft Washington and visit the TWC booth...they usually have excellent mats at very attractive prices. I usually buy one or two more at each show, although I don't need any more at this point! They are great.

Lastly, the things that Bill taught you about posture and body movement are oh-so-important to help avoid this kind of discomfort. If your stance is "stressed"...you'll feel it during and after your turning session. If your stance and body movement is fluid and un-stressed...you'll be less tired and sore at the end of the day.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys

I'm heading back out to the lathe now & I'll see where mine is at. I think it's higher than it should be. The anti fatigue mat is another good idea - though it's to late to head back up to Ft. Washington . I'll pick one up at the borg I guess. As much as I'm enjoying turning I don't want something like my beat up old bones & muscles causing me to do it less than the little bit of time I have for it as is.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Tom

I had the same problem every time I turned a deep bowl. Horrible neck pain and huge headache. The reason was that I was holding my head over to the side so I could see inside. I have since moved the headstock to the end of the lathe and stand in front fo the bowl and look straight into it. Now no more problems. I stand on 3 thicknesses of 3/8 carpet padding.

Good luck
    Terry

TURNING "PAIN"

Tom,
    I have a bit of arthritis in my back. Besides headstock centerline height, anti-fatique mats to stand on, and of particular note are the shoes/or foot gear you are wearing, I occassionally wear one of the velcro fastening back supports they wear in the borg stores. It has a wide support area in the back. Bought mine at sears but I think you can get them most places. And, you can wrap it for as much support as feels comfortable (especially important for those of us who are not too tightly wrapped!).
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA