Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent SU Drawing

Recent SU Drawing

It's based on Thomas Moser's Windward collection. Not quite completed--still a few pieces to do and all the joinery.

Nice!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,

I find it interesting that with all the parts--there are 195 component instances--the SKP file is only 136 Kb. Pretty small file for so much drawing.

Nice, are you planning on building this?

Thanks Travis. I'd like to build it but my wife wasn't too thrilled by the design. She doesn't think it looks comfortable. When I get the honey-do list cut down a little--if I do, I should say--maybe I'd give it go and put it up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Thanks Travis. I'd like to build it but my wife wasn't too thrilled by the design. She doesn't think it looks comfortable. When I get the honey-do list cut down a little--if I do, I should say--maybe I'd give it go and put it up for sale.
    Dave, I think that design could be comfortable. I think it would also be possible to build the design so that it is uncomfortable. I'm a big proponent of prototyping seating furniture. That way, you get to sit in the furniture and adjust the design before you commit big resources to building the nice version. It might also be a way to address your wife's concern. So here's my recommendation... Knock together a prototype. It is made of plywood, old pallets, or whatever. There's no joinery; it is just tacked together with screws. In fact, using screws is important because you can easily change stuff to see how it feels. The point is to use minimal time or money in getting far enough to evaluate comfort. Go for it!

Hi Dave, I agree with Jamie. You could go for a prototype.
    Going by my Armchair experience I'd say you probably want a slight slope on the seat. Then is it webbed, sprung or solid support?

Also depending on your interior decore, have a look at some of the furniture sites for modern Itailian or designer furniture. Similar styles and nice pictures which could help convince the LOYL.

Also I think that the comfort factor and the general look are GREATLY affected by the upholstery. Soft cushy cushions and nice material that allow you to sink into are very comfortable. So before you start on a sofa, decide on the upholstery. Will you do it yourslef? Or will you get it made. Custom cushion etc can add up to a tidy sum. Doing it yourself might be cheaper but can you do it?

Robert

Good luck

Looking at it again, I would think about knocking the top rails off of the chair and couch so it would better function as an armrest.

Dave, you've got this SU thing nailed down pretty well. Whenever you plan to produce "the SU pill" I'd like to get a bottle or two. I tried SU for a project and it just took a long while before I could get comfortable with the sahpes and moving them around etc.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Jamie and Rob, thanks. I might do as you suggest and build a mock up to see how it sits. She might go for it then.

Travis, I kind of question the high-appearing sides but that's the design from Thos Moser. I just drew it as they designed it.

Zahid, thank you. If I could bottle it, I would. I might possibly break even in the deal. If you think you want to give SU another go, try drawing something you won't have to build under a deadline. Start with a simple project to get the feel for it. It really isn't difficult once you get going on it.

Dave

i know this was an old posting but I was wondering if you ever built the chair and how it turned out. Experience, comments, improvements and changes? Thx
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm traveling and don't have continuous internet access.

I haven't built the chair although I've been thinking it's about time now that I'm retired. I would probably create a plan to use in the shop and make parts for two chairs, the love seat and coffee table all at once while milling.

Great, I’m planning one or two chairs as well - will keep you posted when I move forward, please do likewise
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

I don't see any pictures or drawings ????

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    I don't see any pictures or drawings ????

Tim
    I guess they disappeared sometime in the past 12 years since the original post was started. I realize you probably did not notice that.