Thread: A couple new members

A couple new members

Well, uh, I joined yesterday. Got that cute little 'newest member' thingy on the front page. Sounded like a really good place to share, discuss, snitch ideas, etc. Sooo, I mentioned it to my brother Chris. Guess he liked the place too. He's today's newest member! Hope we can be good additions to the forum!

Doug

Doug, Chris,
    Welcome to SMC!
    There’s a lot of good folks and a ton of good info here!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Doug and Chris.....Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in the water's fine!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome guys! What sort of woodworking do you like to do?

Welcome Doug and Chris. Nobodys mentioned pictures yet, we like 'em. Got any pics of projects, shops and the like? Hope you enjoy the Creek.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Welcome to the creek, enjoy your stay. lars

Blog Entries
    Welcome to "The Creek".
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome to the creek guys, great bunch of folks here.
    Just ask them!!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Welcome to the Creek...and Howdy neighbor.

My son & I used to camp on Holden Beach & kayak in the backwaters....(years ago) A few years ago they build houses on the old camp ground. Great memories were made on your island.

A warm welcome to you both, Doug and Chris! Glad you found your way here. This is a good place to be. No, wait. I take that back. This is the best place to be!

Doug and Chris - Welcome to the Creek. Like everyone's saying, a lot of good people here. Enjoy!

Jeff

A few of you had some questions so rather than answer them one by one, I guess I'll just give you some bio and let you get to know me better that way.
    I live in Holden Beach, NC. I don't live on the island, but close enough, about 2 miles. At the moment all my tools are packed to the ceiling of two 10'x10' storage units about ten minutes from my house.
    In January I'll be closing on a house in Ash, NC(about 15 miles inland). The house is small(about 600sqft) and there's a 400-500sqft shop out back WOOHOO!
    First project will be to get the shop in order. It's gonna be like Christmas as there's some tools I haven't unpacked since I shipped them down here from NY in '99. No telling what's been hiding away that I've forgotten about.
    As far as shop tools that I remember I own- two contractor table saws, a lathe, 12½" planer, and hundreds of other hand and power tools. The only tools that have been used of late are the ones I dare take to work(construction supervisor).
    I have worked previously as a boatbuilder(both wood and !@#$%glass) and that is what I'd really like to focus on. Realistically, I'll be spending more time on projects for the house and within a year or two a major addition to the house. I haven't played around with a lathe much since high school. The one I have was left to me by my Dad when he passed Feb.1 of last year. I know that it'll get a lot of use. I remember the enjoyment I had on Dad's Shopsmith lathe way back when. The Shopsmith is long gone and other than the fact that I about had a hernia loading this one into a truck by myself, I won't be able to tell you much about it until January when it get's to see the light of day.
    Other stuff- I'm 43 years old. I am married to Tonya. I have a 6 year old stepdaughter by Tonya(Summer) and we have a daughter together(Mackenna) who will turn 1 on Dec.21st. I have five other children(steps included) from my first marriage and six grandkids and another on the way. I'm a fairly regular member of the WoodenBoat Forum and some of you may know me from there as botebum.
    Since I haven't seen much of Chris around here yet, I'll give you a little bit on him. He's 40, married with 2 kids, lives in Schodack, NY. He works for the railroad and builds custom fishing rods. He's pretty handy around the shop too. He can turn out some really nice things with just a few tools. He just built two twin Ultralight fishing rods and shipped one to me for my birthday. Most beautiful thing I've ever held. The rod weighs in at under 2ozs. I'll let him tell you more about himself when he finds his way back.

And this is the cause of anything decent that I do-

Doug

Welcome to both of you, Doug & Chris! We do hope you make this place a real regular hang out!

And Doug, by the looks of your family, I'm guessing you do a LOT of decent stuff! I hope you consider us part of your extended family! Stop by often and stay long.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I'm With Him

Well, as Doug said, I live in Upstate NY, work for the railroad (CSX), 40 years young, married to Melissa for 15 years in Jan., Thomas is 14 (he's done the math), Heather is 12, I build custom fishing rods, and I like to play around in the shop.
    This is a walking stick I made: the "spin rod" handle is made of oak and the shaft is rosewood.
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...ngstick001.jpg
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...ngstick003.jpg

I hope to "steal" some ideas from you all. Your work is incredible !

Chris