Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkey recipies???

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy levine
    FYI all kosher poltry has been salted to some extent hence the brine has little to no effect.... on the other hand it pre-seasons the bird.
    Jeremy,
    I am not sure I am getting Kosher poultry (a nice Jewish bird ...but like my mother always said Vy Not?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Jim,
    It sounds great!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

here's my recipe.. repeated requests year after year for it.

Prep your bird normally, stuff it, cover the breast in bacon strips, place in a deep roasting pan, pour 1/2 bottle of chardonnay wine or reisling wine over it & baste every 1/2 hour after the first hour of cooking. Take off the bacon about 2/3 of the way thru & leave in the bottom of the pan. Keep basting. The turkey will be a golden brown, juicy, & tasty.

I'll have to try the bourbon & brine sometime though.

Brined & Roasted Turkey (QE style)
    This brine will handle a 12-15lb turkey, just upsize the amounts if you have a larger bird

2 gallons cold water
    2 cups burbon
    2 cups + 2 tbsp kosher salt
    1 cup sugar (or honey)
    1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 tbsp freshly ground white pepper
    1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs (thyme, parsley, rosemary, dill, etc)
    butter or olive oil

To Brine
    Start the brining method the day before you plan to cook the turkey. Start with a fresh or completely thawed turkey. Wash the bird inside and out and remove the giblet bag and kneck.

in a large stockpot (or bucket) disolve 2 cups kosher salt in 2 gallons of cold water. Add 1 cup of sugar (or honey) and stir until the salt and sugar are completely disolved. Add the burbon.

Herbs and spices may be added to the brine to enhance the flavor. Add several crushed bay leaves, severay sprigs of dried thyme or other herbs if desired.

Place turkey in brine solution breast down, cover and chill overnight.

Remove turkey from brine, rince inside nad out under cold running water, pat dry with towel.

Roasting instructions

preheat oven to 325 degress. As a guideline, roast the turkey 10-12 minutes per pound.

Place turkey on shallow roasting pan, tie legs together and tuck wings underneath the bird.

Coat the skin with butter or olive oil. Cover the breast loosely with aluminum foil. Add 1 curp of water to the bottom of the roasting pan.

Roast the turkey until the internal temperature reaches 180 or the thigh juices run clear when pierced with a fork.

This is how I do ours (it's a variation of brining):

I smoke mine but it would work just as well on a grill.

Take a room temperature bird and with a meat injector, inject it with salt water. For the salt water I just take about 2 cups warm water and dissolve as much kosher salt as I can.

I then inject as much of the salt water into the turkey.

I dry the outside of the bird and rub it with olive oil and sprinkle Tony Cachere's Creole seasoning on the turkey.

I then smoke it until done at 225.

Wonderful and juicy.

We normally do two 12 pounders in the gas grill, with brine, so I highly recommend it. This year we have less people so are doing one larger
    and with the weather the way it's been may end up using the oven, if we have power, otherwise I'll just get wet.

BTW, there were proces listed in the paper for restaurants and grocers that sell the meals all ready to go, and I was suprised to see them running
    $30-100, with most about $50. Just a little tempting, we'd have to deal with a revolt.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Just a reminder, take the plastic bag of giblets and neck out BEFORE cooking. If you need more info on this you will have to ask my daughter and her borfriend, they fixed dinner last year.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Ive done mine on a water smoker for about 15 years or so very moist , everyone loves it

with the water smoker its what you put in the water that flavors the bird , I use a couple of cups of wine , onions and whatever other spices I get my hands on .

I usually cut up a couple of onions a and a grapefruit ( we have a tree ) and throw it in the cavity .

I usually smoke a ham a long with it .

something else to try is cheese . take provolone or swiss , chunk it up in a tin pie pan and smoke it for the first hour or so .

great to nibble on while the turkey is cooking

I start with a good quality fresh turkey.
    First I brine.
    I Slit the skin and place butter strategically.
    Salt pepper rosemary on top and under skin.
    Then I half fill the cavity with pearl onions.
    The onions really impart a nice flavor.
    I follow the rules for tenting and basting but I find the real key is to pay close attention to tempurature. I have one of the digital oven thermometers and allows me to really keep on track with things.
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital...&s=home-garden

I like to take the bird out about 15 degrees shy of the target and let it reach it while resting.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Take two DeRauds, a dash of Laustrup, a smidge of Leetch, four Hoyts, and an ounce of Hart. Beat them unmercifully until silent. Then add a skoshe of Becker. Stand back, and wear protection. Garnish liberally with Fitzgerald when done.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Take two DeRauds, a dash of Laustrup, a smidge of Leetch, four Hoyts, and an ounce of Hart. Beat them unmercifully until silent. Then add a skoshe of Becker. Stand back, and wear protection. Garnish liberally with Fitzgerald when done.
    I concur, although I'm not too sure what in the world those ingrediments would produce. Although a little heavy on the Hoyt, I do think it is a recipe for the age[s][d].

SKOL!

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.