Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey recipies???

Turkey recipies???

What is your best Turkey recipe? I have about 25 people coming over...I will do one in the BBQ and one in the oven..sugestions
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I generally get the most compliments on my Turkey when I turn it upside down and stuff it with citrus fruit. Nothing fancy just keep the bird on a rack in the pan. I keep the probe in the breast meat and pull it out of the oven at 150-160. This seems to cook the turkey more evenly. Downside is that you will need to flip it over and butter the skin at some point to brown it up if you are going to be presenting the bird on the table.

Mark, check out this recipe from Alton Brown. I tried it about 3 years ago and it's just about the only way I make a turkey anymore. Always juicy and moist. It does take a bit of prep time, but well worth it IMHO.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

The Alton Brown method is excellent. But what Tim talks about is also wonderful...'done them both ways!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ANother vore for Alton Brown.

Never heard of Alton Brown. Sounds like a lot of work.
    There must be more to it than just "juicy"? Juicy is easy. Does the brine give it some outstanding flavour?

I just did a turkey on this past Sunday, an 10-12lb bird.
    - defrost in the fridge for a few days
    - rinse it out
    - stuff the cavity with some chopped onions
    - slap it into an oven bag and put it in the roasting pan
    - brush olive oil on the carcass
    - sprinkle on a mix of your choice of spices. I think we used marjoram, thyme, parsley, maybe rosemary, all about 1tsp plus 1/2tsp paprika
    - close up the bag, poke a few holes at the top of the bag,
    - jam in the thermometer and pop it into the oven - 325

Here's a similar recipe.

No basting needed. So juicy that the meat nearly falls off the bones.
    Serve with cranberry sauce and MMMmmmm good.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    Never heard of Alton Brown. Sounds like a lot of work.
    There must be more to it than just "juicy"? Juicy is easy. Does the brine give it some outstanding flavour?
    Yes much like chicken in soup, the turkey exchanges some of its water and replaces it with some of the brine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    What is your best Turkey recipe? I have about 25 people coming over...I will do one in the BBQ and one in the oven..suggestions
    Another Alton Brown fan... only difference is I do mine on the gas grill instead of the oven.. I throw in some water soaked hickory & oak chunks into the smoking box and it takes 2-3 hours... turkey is super moist and and brushing the skin w/olive oil gets is toasty browned ... plus the little bit of smoke adds a nice touch. It's also fantastic as written, but my kitchen is quite small and I only have one oven, so I try to cook big meals on the grill as much as possible. I move a lot of recipes out of the oven to the grill or using charcoal in my 3 cast iron 12" dutch ovens. You ought to try my family xmas dinner of dutch oven Italian sausage lasagna!

I've almost stopped cooking any big piece of meat w/o brining it first. Pulled pork Boston butts, brisket, turkey, even whole chickens come out nicer when brined first. I have to admit Alton Brown on the food channel got me started on this and I find his recipes almost always outstanding and reasonably easy to do. His jerky recipe is super simple, etc. and just plain tastes great.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Fried in a turkey fryer. It's by far the best turkey I've eaten!!!
    Keel McDonald ><>

Brining a bird is definitely the way to go.

Here's Wolfgang's recipe--same method as Alton but just a touch more flavor. Combines an overnight brine with an herbed butter distributed underneath the skin, stuffed with whole citrus fruits and onion, and then roasted over an aromatic Mirepois.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._25005,00.html

Produces a perfectly browned bird, juicy, succulent, and delicious.
    The turkey stock and gravy is very similar to my Mom's method.

Not sure how fancy you want to get in the kitchen, but this recipe is actually easier than it reads. I am admittedly a bit of a foodie, however.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

What is your best Turkey recipe? I have about 25 people coming over...I will do one in the BBQ and one in the oven..sugestions
    I have done this several times with chickens, but should be basically the same process for a bird 5x the size. A turkey no larger than 15 pounds is recommended.

Is the BBQ charcoal or gas?

If it is charcoal, than you are in business. A hinged grate for adding extra coals to the indirect fires is a must. If it is not, this is a good excuse to get one. Or even better, get a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker.

Brine the turkey or apply the rub of your choice. As I discovered the hard way, you cannot brine a kosher turkey.

1. Use lump natural charcoal, not briquettes. Natural charcoal gives much better flavor.
    2. Use large chuck smoking wood. If you have cherry scraps, those will work perfectly. Otherwise, apple hickory or mesquite all work well. Hickory can get overpowering if you are not careful.
    3. Set up the grill for indirect cooking (two piles or baskets of coal on opposite ends of the grill). Heat the grill to 250
    4. Insert a probe thermometer into the breast of the beast. Set it to 150.
    5. Rub the breast with some olive oil. It will help crisp it.
    6. Place two large chunks of smoking wood in each pile or basket.
    7. Place the turkey in the middle of the cooking grate and walk away. DO NOT open that lid unless you absolutely have to!!
    8. Smoke that critter for half an hour per pound at 220-250.
    9. Add more coal if the temp drops below 220.
    10. Once the turkey hits 150 degrees, open up the vents and let the fires get rip roarin hot to crisp up the skin and cook until the critter is 165 degrees.
    11. Remove from the grill and let sit for 20 minutes before carving.

Enjoy!!

My favorite rub adapted from the cookbook Get Saucy by Grace Parisi

2-4 cloves of garlic
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1.5 tbs ancho chili powder
    .5 tbs chipotle chili powder
    .5 tbs cumin
    1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
    1/4 tsp dried oregano. Mexican variety preferred.

mash the garlic & salt in a mortar and pestle until it forms a paste

In a small pan, heat the oil and add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Allow to return to room temperature before applying it to the beast, preferably under the breast skin for better absorption. Allow to get happy for 4-6 hours before grilling.

Gobble gobble

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    I

Brine the turkey or apply the rub of your choice. As I discovered the hard way, you cannot brine a kosher turkey. ...
    FYI all kosher poltry has been salted to some extent hence the brine has little to no effect.... on the other hand it pre-seasons the bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald
    Fried in a turkey fryer. It's by far the best turkey I've eaten!!!
    If by that, you mean a deep fryer, I've got to agree. I got to have some leftovers last year from my next door neighbor. He's up early every Thanksgiving setting up a deep fryer out in his driveway. Plunks the whole bird in and lets it cook for hours. That's the best turkey I've ever had. I dont even want to know how much colesterol was involved though.
    Use the fence Luke

For forty plus years, I have done ours in the standard Webber kettle grill. We like the results to much we usually have one or two at other times of the year done this way.
    I stack charcol briquets on either side, get them going and just set in a large bird my wife has stuffed.
    The bird is basted with peanut oil a couple times during the cooking. Even a large bird takes only 2 1/2 hours. They always come out properly cooked and still moist and juicy. For me, it's hard to give thanks for a turkey that had been dried out. (we need a "yuk" similie for here)
    It really couldn't be simpler.

Mark,

If your interested, I have a recipe for a "brine" turkey. It is quite excellent. My wife got the recipe from the Queer Eye show 2 years ago and we've made it every thanksgiving since..

I don't have it here at work but will be willing to post it later tongiht when I get home.

The basic premise is you develop a brine of fresh & dried herbs, kosher salt, and burbon .. let the turkey soak for 24 hours (or maybe a little longer), rinse and bake.

Excellent!!!!!!!!!