Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did what everyone said not to do!!

I did what everyone said not to do!!

I know! You cant turn anything good out of Oak!! Well.... I guess I'm just a rebel at heart. 9 1/2" X 3 1/4" Sanded to 600 grit; Poly and Wax finish. Spalted White Oak.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Very nice piece. I have heard that red oak is pretty bad but that white oak is not to bad to turn. I have never turned either though.
    Mike Vickery

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vickery
    Very nice piece. I have heard that red oak is pretty bad but that white oak is not to bad to turn. I have never turned either though.
    Thanks Mike, neither red or white is bad to turn but red is easy to crack and warp. Other than that and some black rust not bad at all. I just today turned the most beautiful blank of wet White Oak. it hadn't been cut for more that three hours. It was a joy to turn and I can't wait to finish it. It is in the DNA now. Try some what can it hurt?

What a rebel you are Chris! Nicely done! I like the form and the wood.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley
    .....Try some what can it hurt?.....
    Best advice I've seen all day.
    Only the Blue Roads

It's not that there is anything "wrong" with turning oak...it's just a bear to turn! But you know what...you do a good job on it!! Bravo. Nice piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job on that one.

Oak isn't my favorite, but it's way better than some of the stuff I've used: I recall a wenge-and-lacewood laminated bowl that was like driving behind a gravel truck the whole time I was turning it. Of course I usually turn dry wood so I probably have a higher-than-average pain threshold.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Like Mike said, white oak is the preferred oak for turning. I liken it more to ash which I like to turn. I think you did another great job! You have become one of the king of spalts around here.

Corey

That's a nice bowl Chris. The thing I like about oak is the rays (sp) that you don't see in most other wood.

Yep you be a rebel but sure is a purty bowl. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great bowl Chris I agree with you that there isn't anything wrong with oak. Just different to turn.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

That must be trick photography. Very nice.

That's a nice one Chris. You are The Oak Man.

I've turned Oak before (both Red & White) it is a PITA but it looks like you mastered the piece from looking at your pictures. What did you use to fill the grain? Paste Wood Filler? My favorite filler. Thanks for the posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson
    I've turned Oak before (both Red & White) it is a PITA but it looks like you mastered the piece from looking at your pictures. What did you use to fill the grain? Paste Wood Filler? My favorite filler. Thanks for the posting.
    Bill, I don't use anything to fill the grain. I'm not sure what you mean as I'm not all that versed in woodworking like many of the guys. I just turn sand and finish, all with LOL. By the way, what is a "PITA"?
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 11-19-2006 at 6:31 AM.