Thread: Table saws with riving knives

Table saws with riving knives

It's a mystery to me why more saws don't have riving knives, which if my understanding is correct, is simply a splitter that both raises and lowers and tilts with the blade.

Besides being curious as to what kind of carriage beef the SawStop gives you for all that $, I was curious whether there's anything unique that related to the incorporation of a riving knife, so I looked at the exploded view of the SawStop carriage assembly; p.81 in the manual

http://www.sawstop.com/Cabinet_Saw_Manual.pdf

There is indeed - rather than a simple pivot giving the arbor a circular trajectory, it's guided on two vertical shafts driven by a threaded rod.

This would keep the riving knife at the same relative height to the blade at any height setting.

The Powermatic PM2000 exploded view is on p.34 here

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/m_1792001K.pdf

It's not exactly clear because the riving knife is shown on a different page with the guard assembly, but it looks conventional as far as I can tell.

Maybe there's more to it, because that would mean that it would suffer from what I think is the reason more saws don't have a riving knife, which would be the change in height of the knife relative to the blade mentioned above.

I'd be interested in anyone's knowledge/thoughts on this issue.

Thanks

This was discussed here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43661

Maybe you'll find something in there. Although I do have a PM2000, I have very little useful information to add other than I'm pretty sure my riving knife has saved me a few times from kickback.

Rob,

Thanks for the link, I was remiss in not doing a search first.

This is a bit off topic, but I think I remember reading somewhere that all table saws sold in the US after some date will be required to have a riving knife. Does anyone know if that's true, and if so, what that date is?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I guess this is pretty much useless information for today's world. Both my Inca 12" tilting arbor saw and 10" tilting table saw have arbors that travel up and down in a strailght line, not pivot. Twenty years ago this was one of their selling points that the riving knife would always be in the right orientation.

Larry

I have owned two American saws that had riving knives and loved them. they are the Oliver D and the Rockwell RT-40 ( ok it is made in Brazil but by an American company ) . The oliver does not pivot per se, but rides on a turret along with two five hp direct drive motors. The Rockwell pivots.

Lou