Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project: Cherry Vanity For Guest Bath (COMPLETED)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Goodwin
    How about instead of a vanity, you hang a router in the top of that thing!
    Let's just say that if the world crashed and burned and the very expensive addition project went down with it...this would make a very nice router table. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    I really like the arched lower rail and the leg tapers. They give the piece a very elegant look.
    I agree. I didn't realize how nice the combination would look until I did this assembly work and put it down on the floor. It's quite striking. In fact, I like it so much that I may duplicate it for the two larger vanities that will go in the master bath as well as the bases for other cabinetry.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Long sleeves in the workshop! Watch out or "Nahm" will revoke your license...

And yeah, what they said, lovely piece, and I like the "furniture" feel that your giving this piece of cabinetry.

But I am puzzled about the drawers. This is a vanity for the guest bathroom. To me, that means a sink goes in the top. But you've got two drawers in it !?!? How is that working? Is this one of those modern style sinks where the bowl is mostly sitting out on top of the vanity?

best,
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    But I am puzzled about the drawers. This is a vanity for the guest bathroom. To me, that means a sink goes in the top. But you've got two drawers in it !?!? How is that working? Is this one of those modern style sinks where the bowl is mostly sitting out on top of the vanity?
    Post #27. Last Paragraph. Yes, raised bowl.
    --

re: Project

As a newer woodworker, you're project photos and explanation are great! I only hope to make stuff like you someday!
    Matt Paldy

I enjoy these tutorials immensely. Keep em coming. You've always had good advice when I post, I thank you for that. Can't wait to see more on this and future projects.

Sunday, 26 November 2006 Update

I had a few hours in the shop on Sunday and pretty much completed the carcass construction on this project, including the support structure for the drawers. Bucking the trend in kitchen and bath, I'm using traditional runners, rather than metal drawer slides. The only thing that I believe I'll have to add to the carcass is some support on the sides for the door hinges...I don't want to screw into MDF core and there is a 5/8" offset between the corner posts and the carcass sides, too. I'll mill solid stock for that and mount with wood movement in mind.

So, here are a few pictures from this installment of the project:

The first step was to put the piece back on the bench and apply glue to the joints since the "dry fit" passed muster

vanity-40.jpg

While it was on the bench, a false base was constructed, both to hide pipes coming through the floor as well as make cleaning around the cabinet easier...no fishing for dust bunnies! The look of the piece is "furniture", but the function needs to be "cabinetry". It will be painted black to "disappear" into the background.

vanity-41.jpg

And in the same token, it was easier to take off measurements for the drawer support structure directly from the carcass while it was up on the work surface.

vanity-42.jpg

The rear of the drawer support plane needed to be notched to fit into/integrate with the rear corner posts. (I didn't notch out the posts in the back) This was done at the band saw.

vanity-43.jpg

And when it was time to head inside to clean up and head for "family dinner out", this is where the project stood. (literally, come to think of it! )

vanity-44.jpg

Next steps include building the doors and drawers. And then it gets finished and "put away" until it's needed.
    --

newer (and very part time) woodworkers

Jim, I am one of those newer/part time and I realy apreciate the information. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    And then it gets finished and "put away" until it's needed.
    Put away... How many months? Oh well.

Looks sweet, Jim. I bet working on this kind of makes the whole project seem more real? Well, that and signing your life away that mortgage document...
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    Put away... How many months?
    I will guess that installation of said vanity will be, umm...6-8 months away if things go smoothly...

Just last night at dinner we were mulling over the storage options for the various pieces of cabinetry on "the list". I'd love to put them above the shop, but it may be difficult to do so because of access...narrow stairway with a bend right at the bottom. I have a ton of space up there. Someday I'll have double doors to the outside upstairs, but right now...I don't.

I bet working on this kind of makes the whole project seem more real? Well, that and signing your life away that mortgage document...
    Yes, very real (as did the deck demolition) and...."oh, my" on the second point....Thankfully, the rates mitigated a bit recently and our current mortgage holder made a really good offer that included minimal closing costs. (title ins, appraisal and pre-paid interest only after the $500 affinity benefit due to my employer and painless documentation) 5.875% is a lot more comfortable than where it was only a month ago. Of course, we're forced to give up our 4.625% 15 year loan...we hit "rock bottom" on the curve back in 2003 when we did a re-fi that paid off handsomely. But we really do need the space and bathrooms...and moving would be more costly for comparable land, etc. We checked that out carefully during the due-diligence work for the project.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Someday I'll have double doors to the outside upstairs, but right now...I don't.
    There you go then. That's next week's project. Couple of "hay loft" doors for your shop should be a breeze...

(It's so easy spending other people's money and giving other people jobs to do... )
    "It's Not About You."

It's crossed my mind, Art. Unfortunately, my tastes tend to pre-hung insulated doors "just in case" I ever do finish the upstairs. But I may have to consider something simpler in an appropriate rough-in as well as security, thereof...
    --

Very interesting

Jim,
    I enjoyed reading your tutorial. Nice commentary and photography. You know - with work like that you could put up your own website

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Malen
    I enjoyed reading your tutorial. Nice commentary and photography. You know - with work like that you could put up your own website
    Thanks, Dave...I keep forgeting I actually have a web site...it's been eons since I did anything with it. Maybe soon...in my copious free time.
    --

Hey, glad to see you got some time in the shop. It's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work. What are you thinking for the doors as far as construction? How are you going to do the panels? Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    What are you thinking for the doors as far as construction? How are you going to do the panels? Have fun!
    Flat panel doors. The rails and stiles are straight/rift grain cherry that somewhat match the side panels. The door panels will be...well...maybe curly cherry; maybe QS sycamore. I have to ponder that over this week before I start resawing something.
    --