Thread: Delta Hybrid/blade guard?

Delta Hybrid/blade guard?

I have the Delta Hybrid 10" TS, and am finding that there are cuts I make that the blade guard needs to be removed for.
    I'm not to impressed with the original guard anyway and would like to find something a bit better/easier.

I'd like a guard that would swing back out of the way easier than the one that's on it.
    To remove the guard I have requires removing the insert, loosening a bolt, then swinging the guard backwards, tightening the bolt, and reinstalling the insert.

I've found the larger stand alone types, but am looking for something a bit less involved/costly, maybe one attaches to the back side of the saw and is mounted on a pivot?

DC not needed btw

Any such creature???

Al

The best aftermarket guard in my opinion is the Shark Guard from Lee Styron... http://www.leestyron.com/sharkunisaw.php

I had one on my Ryobi BT3100, the Delta Hybrid I upgraded to, and now have it on my Grizzly cabinet saw.

It's a quality product with years of happy use and leigons of customers behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits
    I have the Delta Hybrid 10" TS, and am finding that there are cuts I make that the blade guard needs to be removed for.
    I'm not to impressed with the original guard anyway and would like to find something a bit better/easier.

I'd like a guard that would swing back out of the way easier than the one that's on it.
    To remove the guard I have requires removing the insert, loosening a bolt, then swinging the guard backwards, tightening the bolt, and reinstalling the insert.

I've found the larger stand alone types, but am looking for something a bit less involved/costly, maybe one attaches to the back side of the saw and is mounted on a pivot?

DC not needed btw

Any such creature???

Al

Thanks Jim, kinda looks like it'll swing out of the way when not needed or in the way, I emailed him to be sure.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits
    Thanks Jim, kinda looks like it'll swing out of the way when not needed or in the way, I emailed him to be sure.

Al
    Al,

It's very easy to remove and set aside, or as I do with the 4" dust port on top, hook it to the celing so it's out of the way.

With the delta's, they provide a nifty cam-loc bolt for easy removal of the splitter when doing through cuts.

My preference is an overarm guard that can stay in place for dado cuts.

Kent, might work for you, but the Shark Guard looks like its a lot less involved and doesn't take up any more room than the original unit.
    I'm thinking of tenons more than dado cuts, and the guard needs to be removed for them.
    Plus the Shark is cheaper than the overhead units I've seen, by a lot in some cases.

This is more for convience than anything else.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Al