Thread: Does this look like cherry to you??

Question Does this look like cherry to you??

A client asked me to evaluate an old cherry table for her to see if I could make a leaf for it.

I explained over the phone that making a new cherry leaf for an old cherry table could pose "matching" problems (for me anyway), but I would stop by and take a look.

Does this look cherry to you? I don't think so. I think it looks more mahogany-ish. Especially the aprons. The top does have some weird color variegations, but I can't believe it's cherry.

What do you think?
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

OK. Here goes. Looks like a nice collection of cherry, walnut and mahogany to me. But, if I really knew for sure you could've saved some time and PM'd me directly. But.....you didn't. And with good reason. Don't worry John, with your talent you can match it up no matter what species of woods are used. I've seen pictures of your work!

Brad

By jove...I think that Brad is correct. I was also going to suggest that the apron is mahogany (or walnut) and the top is cherry. The pores on the apron are a give-away on that. The top was harder until I saw the top-view. Finer grain...quite possibly cherry or similar. Remember, walnut gets lighter so over time, some of it could very well be the color you are showing. My black walnut side table in the TV room is nearly that color after only a couple years and with just a blond shellac finish.

As to a "matching" leaf, yea, it will be tough, but you might consider using alder or maple and dying it (along with your top coats) to match the existing aged material in color, rather than using cherry and having to "anticipate" what it will look like in a bunch of years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...