Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turnin and Attaching Collars

Turning and attaching collars

Here's my method of turning and attaching collars to hollow forms. Like most other things, there's lots of ways to do this, but I've found this to be the easiest.
    1. You can make the opening a little bigger than you normally would. Square up the shoulders of the opening.
    collar1.jpg

2. Roughly round the collar stock on the bandsaw. Jam against the face of the chuck jaws with the tailstock.
    collar2.jpg

3.Use a parting tool to form a tenon the thickness of the HF wall to fit inside the opening of the HF. Undercut the edge of the rim to make sure the perimeter of the collar sits flush with the body of the HF.
    collar3.jpg

4. Lightly chamfer the lower edge of the collar.
    collar4.jpg

5. Check the fit of the collar in the HF (Sorry, that pic was too blurry ) and reverse on chuck, holding the tenon with the jaws. I have used a glue block and turned it down to the diameter of the tenon, then glue the collar onto it with thick CA glue. Using the chuck jaws is much simpler.
    collar5.jpg

Cont.
    Last edited by Travis Stinson; 11-03-2006 at 5:15 PM.

6. Turn the outside profile of the collar.
    collar6.jpg

7. Remove from chuck and check profile in HF.
    collar7.jpg

8. Rechuck and turn or drill the opening. I like to use a 3/8" spindle gouge with a fingernail grind.
    collar8.jpg

9. SAND! I usually sand my collars to 2500 grit.
    collar9.jpg

10. Finished sanding. Remove all dust with mineral spirits.
    collar10.jpg
    Last edited by Travis Stinson; 11-03-2006 at 5:19 PM.

11. Run a bead of thick CA glue around the edge of the tenon.
    collar11.jpg

12. Ready for finish! Remember to align the grain when you glue the collar in!
    collar12.jpg

13. To add a finial, turn and square a stepped opening in the collar for the small tenon on the finial to fit inside.
    collar13.jpg
    Last edited by Travis Stinson; 11-03-2006 at 5:21 PM.

4. Very good!!!! Nice detailed instruction that is to the point. Good pictures, too.

Thanks!

Very good Travis! I hope somebody will make this an article and put it there for easy access! Excellently done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Travis. That is nearly the way I did my first, but you added a lot of points I overlooked also. Good article.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Thanks for this Travis it is very helpful and appreciated.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Thanks, although I wont be utilizing this for now (I dont have the tools at this point to make a HF ) I'll save it for later. Very detailed, and I should be able to do it from this.
    Thanks Travis
    Ben
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

Thanks a whole bunch for taking the time to give us this tutorial.

I am even more amazed by your talent of being able to turn one handed and take pictures with the other!

Be Blessed

George

Travis, you da man!!! I've added this link to my "Favorites/Woodworking/Turning" file, threw it in my "links" and a shortcut on my desktop!!! Might even print it out! (Hey, can't be too careful with important "How-to's", you know! ) Many thanks, my friend! You've taken the mystery out of how to do this process for me. Now all I need to do is to learn how to do hollow forms!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Awesome Travis. This really explains alot for me. Thank you very kindly for taking the time to do this Travis. One question if I may. In the third photo where you are turning the tennon you are using a parting tool. You have already turned the tennon in normal parting tool mode right? In this photo are you using just the edge of the point tool or the whole edge? Is this prone to catching in this mode? When you say undercutting are you king of sloping it like you would a dovetail on a tennon? Thanks again Travis!

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 07-22-2006 at 8:13 PM.

Travis, I want to echo what the others have said, thanks so much for the tutorial, I'll be using your instructions in the future.
    Ed

Traveis,

A HUGE THANKS for this tutorial!!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Corey, I'm using the whole edge of the parting tool, just angled to get the sloping undercut into the corner. I hope I explained everything OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Travis thanks for the info.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.