Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Platters 101

Great work, Andy, and a lovely writeup. It almost makes me want to do one, but I can only swing about 7", and a good jointing plane would cost more than my lathe...
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Andy,

As others have already said, thanks so much for a job well done in sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

Excellent write up for my personal archives.

Hey, that was great, Ange! Thanks for taking the time to show us guys that need a little schoolin in platter making. I'm still waiting for the weather to cool down a little before I venture into the oven, er, shop to give one of these a try.

By the way. What that metal tool looking thing on your bench in picture 3?

Be Blessed

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin
    By the way. What that metal tool looking thing on your bench in picture 3?
    Looks like some kind of vintage steam iron.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks for the tutorial Andy. You have definately made platters look a bit less intimidating looking for me to try.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin
    ..... By the way. What that metal tool looking thing on your bench in picture 3?
    Ya know - I'm really not sure. I found it underneath about 3" of that wonderful uber fine dust that tends to settle on horizontal surfaces in our shops. Was fused to the shelf upon which it sat by a big glob of pitchy balsam fir smelling goo left over from that last time I used it - fine tuning a Christmas tree to the stand as I recall. I actually had to clean it up just to see if it had a blade in it. Not to worry, it is back in storage for another 100 years.
    Only the Blue Roads

What I liked about that tutorial Andy was that I was listening to Arlo Guthrie talking about Alice's Restaurant at the same time I was reading the turtorial and Arlo got finished before I got done reading. To me, that means that it was a good, detailed, explanation of what to do (to you that might mean I'm a little slow) and they both had a bunch of 8x10 glossy photos to go along.

Great tutorial and actually I like ideas that don't waste a lot of wood. Sometimes we get stuck thinking that if we're not knee deep in shavings when we finish up then we didn't do something right. I see a glued up platter in my future.

Curt - you can get anything you want at SMC's Turning Board

Thanks all. I'll admit it was a bit of a chore to put this together, but it was a fun task nonetheless. And I do hope that some folks will find it helpful.

But please remember, the steps I followed were just one way to skin the same cat. I encourage you to seek out the alternates as well. Why? Because the journey is just as important, rewarding, and fun as the destination.
    Only the Blue Roads

Wonderful! thanks now I gotta try one of those....
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

Nicely done tutorial Andy! Thanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Andy, you really know how to answer my question. Best part of all, I didn't even have to share any of the blame. I'm almost finished with my current project and am looking forward to making some platters (I've already got some glued up)

Super job!

What an excellent tutorial! You really covered a lot very well. Nice platters at the end. I just may have found a constructive use for some boards that have been hanging around.

Thanks and take care,
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Wicked cool!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt

But please remember, the steps I followed were just one way to skin the same cat. I encourage you to seek out the alternates as well. Why? Because the journey is just as important, rewarding, and fun as the destination.
    Very well said ! Thanks for the great tutorial Andy, just plum full of great ideas.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Blog Entries
    Yep ya dun gud Bub
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf