Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IE 7.0, any problems?

I've been using IE7 for several weeks.
    Can't say there are any "problems".
    As I posted in the support forum, various icons come and go next to pages saved in my Favorites. The eBay icon can appear next to almost anything. The SMC icon can look like it is supposed to or morph into other strange stuff.
    I don't like the new, extra, tab bar. It consumes screen space I would rathr have for viewing what I am viewing. Would like to get rid of it but haven't figured out how yet, if it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Doyle
    I wanted to mention another nice feature of the new IE7 browser. It has to do with the new 'tabs' feature. Let's say you have 5 tabs open displaying 5 different websites. When you want to close the browser by clicking on the red 'X' in the top right-hand corner, you should see a window open asking "do you want to close all tabs"?

In the same window, there is a check box which says "open these the next time I use IE". If you check that box, then the next time you start IE7, all 5 of the websites you open when you closed will reopen in new tabs.

I've found this very useful as I'm usually switching back and forth between 6-10 websites all the time. It's nice to be able to open them with just one click. It works great!

And I know, before you FF afficianados jump all over me, that FF has a similar feature called 'grouped tabs' which allows you to specify which websites to start on launch of the browser.

Rick
    I WONDERED where Microsoft got that idea ;-)

Thumbs up

Installed IE7 about 2 weeks ago on home computer running Windows XP. No problems. I really like the tab feature, but am still learning some of the other new features.
    Lori K

I installed it on my main home computer a couple of weeks ago and it's performed well. Since it's an ODD number release (IE7) from Microsoft it should be OK, it's the even number releases that you need to watch out for .

5. Hi Frank,

Press and release the ALT key. Your text menus should appear. Select Tools. Select Internet Options. Second from the bottom row of buttons is the Tabs group.

Select the Settings button. Very top checkbox is for enabling the tabs. Uncheck it. Click OK, click Apply. Exit IE and restart IE. Tabs should be gone.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Hi Frank,

Press and release the ALT key. Your text menus should appear. Select Tools. Select Internet Options. Second from the bottom row of buttons is the Tabs group.

Select the Settings button. Very top checkbox is for enabling the tabs. Uncheck it. Click OK, click Apply. Exit IE and restart IE. Tabs should be gone.

Take care, Mike
    Thanks. Pressing and releasing ALT didn't do anything but I opened Options from the tool bar. Tabs are gone but that third new toolbar is still there. I'm a KISS principal guy, don't like extra stuff when basics do the job.

I've been using it since IE 7 Beta, without any problems.. Windows XP SP2

There are just a few issues, but outweighed by the improvements.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Well, in the last 2 years the oil companies have gotten more out of me than I have paid to MS since the 1980s, but I think I'll keep driving anyway

IE 7 seems pretty stable. I had a couple weirdnesses happen during all but the last of the betas. The release seems fine.

Mike
    Yeah but when you by the gas you own it. With microsoft you only paying for the right to use software that some days doesn't operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley
    ..... With microsoft you only paying for the right to use software that some days doesn't operate.
    Is that any different than any other software??
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

yeah, its a lot differant than open source software, isn't it?
    I didn't see any user agreement when I installed Ubuntu.
    And the price was a whole lot better I can give a Ubuntu install cd to anyone anytime. What happens if MS catches you giving away windows CD's that you copied?

Go ask MS for their source code so you can modify something to suit your individual needs and let me know what the answer is,

My comment "Is that any different than any other software??" was meant only in reference to your "software that some days doesn't operate." I guess I should have made my point a bit clearer by stating the Linux systems(Ubuntu), like MS, also have days when they don't operate - it's not like Linux has ever been bug free!

I wouldn't expect MS to give me, or anyone else for that matter, their source code to modify. It's not open source - it's proprietary and for very good business reasons. That's why I don't copy MS CD's except for my own backup purposes.
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Corporate users should lay off for awhile until IE7 is validated to actually work with their business applications.
    This is a good point ... we've received a couple of notices from software vendors that the web portion of their apps are being re-written to accept IE7. Nothing mission critical, but waiting until they have them updated is just good policy.

But at home, I upgraded to Firefox 2.0. Its my primary browser for now, with IE used only for sites that stream video (as IE does that better than Firefox 1.5).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Doyle
    I guess I should have made my point a bit clearer by stating the Linux systems(Ubuntu), like MS, also have days when they don't operate - it's not like Linux has ever been bug free!
    Sorry, my bad. after going back and rereading I guess I should have caught that.

I'll admit no software is bug free. My point is for what MS charges, and the staff they have available it should be a whole lot better. Granted its come a long way since the early days. But for what they charge and the limits they impose on you, it should be a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley
    Sorry, my bad. after going back and rereading I guess I should have caught that.

I'll admit no software is bug free. My point is for what MS charges, and the staff they have available it should be a whole lot better. Granted its come a long way since the early days. But for what they charge and the limits they impose on you, it should be a whole lot better.
    Can't argue with that reasoning. MS products should hit the market 99.99999% error free. Their products always have tons of strange quirkies built-in. Methinks their well paid geeks like showing off skills rather than making software simple to use. Often there are multiple ways of accomplishing the same task when just one way would simplify things.
    We still have to click "start" to stop. And scroll down to go up.
    But, that said, I'm not about to go risking using off-beat experimental software in my computer.

I run IE7, Firefox2 and Opera simultaneously for web design. IE7 still hasn't reached the "completeness" (if you want to call it that) of Firefox2, but it comes extremely close.

I'm a Programmer/Analyst by trade. It's expected that corporations will tell users to wait to upgrade. Mainly because if there is anything obscure in any part of the code, they don't want anything coming to a crashing halt. And the one thing that causes that crash may not be triggered by IE7, but the software they run in-house.

My $0.02
    The world's newest weekend woodworker. I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.