Thread: Downcut Spiral Router Bit in a Table..Dumb Move??

Downcut Spiral Router Bit in a Table..Dumb Move??

I need to cut some grooves on the outside surface of the sides of some drawers for a box I am making. These grooves will ride on wooden runners. I am looking for a 5/16" cutting diameter router bit and the depth of cut will be approx. .16". As the drawers need to slide smoothly on the runners, I am looking for as smooth a cut as possible. It would seem to me that a spiral router bit would serve this purpose well. As a downcut spiral will create a smoother cut at the groove's bottom, I am leaning in this direction. However, I am concerned about safety as well, and I know that (as a general rule) the upcut spiral is the better choice if used in a table.

So, would using a 5/16" downcut spiral bit in a table be sufficiently hazardous so as to prevent me from making the purchase? I have experience using upcut spirals in a table, but not downcut and I would rather not have to dodge flying timbers.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

They recommend spiral down for good finish and shallow depth. .160 thousands is not very deep. IMHO If you find it too deep...two passes would be prudent.

Gary K.
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 10-30-2006 at 11:13 PM.

0.16" is less than 3/32. At that depth, the bit might as well be a straight cutter for all the difference it makes.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Recheck Lee. That is just over 5/32, unless me calculator is faulty. Then blame MS. That could be a substantial cut with enough height. Though I also doubt there will be a noticable difference.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    0.16" is less than 3/32. At that depth, the bit might as well be a straight cutter for all the difference it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    Recheck Lee. That is just over 5/32, unless me calculator is faulty. Then blame MS. That could be a substantial cut with enough height. Though I also doubt there will be a noticable difference.

David
    Duh (forehead slap)...I meant 3/16 (I think, but actually it's a bit less than that). But the cutter width is only 5/16: not that much of a cut unless you're talking about insanely hard wood.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    But the cutter width is only 5/16: not that much of a cut unless you're talking about insanely hard wood.
    These were my thoughts also, I didn't think I was hogging off enough wood for it to be an issue. It is nice to hear it from someone else though. Thanks guys.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.