Thread: "Leaf Table" #5

"Leaf Table" #5

Here's a table I make, it's a limited edition. There will only ever be 100 made, then all associated jigs, drawings, etc. will be destroyed. Even though I call it a Limited Edition, each table is different, only the shape is similar. This is the latest evolution of the design.

The dimensions are 56"x16"x30" made from Kingwood veneer and maple solids. Wenge accents on the legs. The top is 5 ply construction. If you look closely at the poor photo I took, you'll see that the top is not flat. The only design change I know I needed to make, I did not flair the back legs quite far enough. That would have added more stability, especially on carpet.

Any design changes? How about the almost (you can place a vase or bowl near the end but no where else) lack of functionality? Any other comments good or bad? That's why I posted here in the Design forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.

That's an awesome example of taking great advantage of the wood for the "effect" on the "leaf"! Wonderful! And I really like the rest of the design...it "moves"...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-26-2006 at 4:01 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Earl....of great design it is often said, "Nothing can be taken away....and nothing should be added" Except my compliments! Great work! You must be using a vacumm bag to insure the veneer adheres to the undulating form. How are the maple plys oriented? Flat stack as with plywood?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,

The top is solid maple with mahogany and kingwood veneer on top and bottom. It takes 2 pressings, yes in a vacuum press. Yes it was difficult the first try was a failure. I had used some beautiful rosewood, but it just didn't want to flex enough to get into the gentle curves. Had so many loose sections just had to sand it off. The Kingwood was much more forgiving.

Thanks Jim and Mark.

Here's a top view( I haven't tweeked this yet)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Earl Kelly; 10-26-2006 at 5:07 PM.

Earl,
    It is truely a beautiful leaf table, but it also has a wonderful, animal-like quality. Call me crazy, but from these pictures I can easily imagine a fourth leg, raised and bent in the middle as if poised to flee. Great piece!
    Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver
    Earl,
    It is truely a beautiful leaf table, but it also has a wonderful, animal-like quality. Call me crazy, but from these pictures I can easily imagine a fourth leg, raised and bent in the middle as if poised to flee. Great piece!
    Crazy
    When I looked at the piece, I saw that too. There's something gazelle or antelope like in it.

I'd love to see one with a rough surfaced top showing the veins of the leaf in texture rather than in color. At that point it becomes more art than furniture though as you couldn't put much on it and it would be a huge pain to dust.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Ted- I have a couple of "Animal" designs I'm trying to iron out the details on. Maybe by this time next yr those will be done.

John- I understand what you're saying. I was trying to get something different with a stylized look. Take a look at www.marklevin.com his tables are almost completely sculpture.

Thanks everyone for the remarks. This piece along with another cabinet I made, "Kansas" were entered in a local Gallery Show and accepted. "Kansas" was purchased by the Arts Council of Northwest FL to become a permanent piece in the Cinco Banderas Collection. I was very pleased to have both pieces I entered, selected for the Show and floored when I was told they were purchasing "Kansas".

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Kelly
    Here's a table I make, it's a limited edition. There will only ever be 100 made, then all associated jigs, drawings, etc. will be destroyed.
    The table looks very cool, but these comments I don't understand.

Why destroy the jigs/drawings/etc?
    Is this something that other people do?

Destroying jigs I can sort of understand, if you just want to move on to doing other stuff. But the drawings? Does that make it more valuable for sale?

Cool. Better put a leash on it. It looks like it's about to run off.
    Use the fence Luke