Thread: Another shop layout

Another shop layout

This layout can be changed and altered until we move. Unfortunately that may not be for 3-5 years. In the meantime I'm in 1/2 of our 2-car garage and sharing the space with other household stuff. Needness to say I'm not really enjoying woodworking too much in that space, so I keep dreaming of a dedicated shop. I wanted to see what I could do with a reasonable amount of space, but still have room to move, build, finish, and enjoy woodworking.

Thoughts, suggesstions, improvements?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeremy Gibson

Hi Jeremy,

I would like to have a shop like that too. Keep in mind the working "triangle, much like a kitchen should be laid out. These are just ideas, so take them with a grain of salt. Possibly move the double doors to the middle of the shop, that way when you have large sheet good to break down you can run them right through the table saw. Even if you have one of the guided systems, you will still run into the odd cut occassionally. Move the assembly table in front of the table saw, and make it mobile, and the same height as the height of the table saw's table surface. Move the clamp rack, drill press and band saw, to the opposite side of the shop (you didn't include a directional orientation to refer to). Move the miter station to where the clamp rack is now located. Since you will have a lot of room in this shop, you might be able to turn the jointer around and place it next to the table saw, or next to the planer. I am still trying to figure out where to put the lumber storage, so it is close at hand. This is what I think, but those far more knowledgeable will soon chime in. You will have a very nice shop. BTW, what program did you use to design your shop. Regards, Bill
    Last edited by Anthony Anderson; 11-11-2006 at 9:18 PM.

First thing I see, is move the exhaust back into the closet, and build a baffel system, ala Jim Becker, to move the air back into the shop. Then move the door of said closet to the long wall side. Otherwise you'll never get to the air compressor for maintenance. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 11-11-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson
    BTW, what program did you use to design your shop. Regards, Bill
    I'm using Visio 2003 for my layout. I've used several online shop designers from Grizzly, Delta, Porter Cable, etc. but keep coming back to Visio. I guess it's what I'm more used to. I used a woodworking stencil shared by Harvey Chute http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm

I should also point out that all the machines on the top wall, perhaps with the exception of the drill press, will be on mobile bases so I can move them out for use.
    Last edited by Jeremy Gibson; 11-12-2006 at 7:34 AM.
    Jeremy Gibson

This is great. Same size as my upcoming shop so I'll definitely be eavesdropping on this thread to get some more great ideas.

Try to get water to the shop if possible. It would be nice to have it for sharpening, finishing, and general cleanup tasks. These guys will also try to push for a toilet.

I have read in the past that it's not a good idea to have the DC and compressor in a small closet together. Maybe someone else can chime in on this. Since I just emptied my DC this weekend, I'll also say to try to get it as close to a door as possible. Don't know if you currently have a DC but emptying it stirs up a lot of dust.

I don't see a workbench with vise. Were you plan on using the "Bench & Hutch" for that? I like the idea of having a bench in the middle of the floor so you can get to all sides, but that's just me.

You may have mentioned this previously but do you have a site in mind for this or are you looking for a place to move to? If you don't yet have a site in mind, things may change due to terrain, neigbors, house, driveway, etc. It sure is fun planning it out, isn't it?

Edit: Changed "Desk" to "Bench"
    Last edited by Rob Bodenschatz; 11-12-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks for the input so far - keep it coming.

Rob, I can't imagine not living in the country again. I have space on my current property but we're putting our funds into finishing home improvement projects and saving for an ultimate move.

I've moved the compressor / DC closet to the North wall with exterior access. In it's place I've added a toilet and sink. If I were building this today I'd seriously consider an incinerating toilet to avoid a $10K septic system (too far from the house septic). Anyone have experience with these or something similar?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeremy Gibson