Thread: Woodworkers Shop in Morris, Illinois

Woodworkers Shop in Morris, Illinois

Does anyone know the status of the Woodworkers shop in Morris, Illinois? I attempted to go to their website and the only location listed any more is in Pekin. There used to be three locations, Pekin, Morris and Bloomington. The shop in Morris was only 30 minutes away and had a great selection of hardwoods, so I hope they are still open. If they are closed, does anyone know of any other decent hardwood dealers in the Chicago SW burbs?

-Mark
    Remember, in the next world you're on your own!

I spoke with Jason in Pekin a few months back, and I think he said both the Morris and Bloomington locations had been sold. I got the impression that both locations were still open, only under new,separate owners/management.

Jim

Did you try Owl Hardwood? They have a location in Lombard, IL
    May be too far away from you - about an hour from Morris.

Neil

The location in Bloomington has changed from a woodworkers supply with a nice selection of hardwoods to a flooring dealer. Much to my disappointment.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hill
    I spoke with Jason in Pekin a few months back, and I think he said both the Morris and Bloomington locations had been sold. I got the impression that both locations were still open, only under new,separate owners/management.

Jim
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to drive out to Morris this weekend to see if they are still in business but perhaps under a different name. The owner/Manager of the Morris store (Scott) was really knowledgable when it comes to woodworking (he used to run a cabinet shop), and I enjoyed talking with him every time I stopped in. I hope he is still there and the business still in operation.

-Mark

Mark,

If you mean the one just South of the river on Rt 47... I drive past it everyday. Been meaning to stop in one day, but I am new to the area and have never been in there. The parking lot seems full enough most of the time.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Clemmons
    Did you try Owl Hardwood? They have a location in Lombard, IL
    May be too far away from you - about an hour from Morris.

Neil
    There is an Owl in Oak Lawn also - around SW Hwy. & Cicero. Rockler at 159th & Harlem and Woodcraft 75th and Woodward Dr. also have nice stock of hardwood but in fewer sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Simmel
    Mark,

If you mean the one just South of the river on Rt 47... I drive past it everyday. Been meaning to stop in one day, but I am new to the area and have never been in there. The parking lot seems full enough most of the time.

Paul
    Yep Paul, thats the one! Its located just South of the light on the West side. He has (had?) an excellent supply of hardwoods and hardwood veneer plywood and the prices were decent. The next time you drive by it, please make a note of the name in front of the place to see if it changed from "The Woodworkers Shop". BY the sounds of it, they are still open but perhaps working under a new ownership and/or name. I'm still planning to stop by there on Saturday as I need to pick up a few sheets of 3/4" Red Oak ply for a few bookcases.

Will do if it's not raining tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the sign says "Woodworker" something on it.

Will do if it's not raining tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the sign says "Woodworker" something on it.
    http://www.woodworkersshop.com/

The above link will take you to their website. They only have Pekin, IL listed as a location. Bloomington and Morris, IL are no longer listed. Not too long ago they teamed up with Rockler so they now carry a variety of Rockler items at their store. It's a great place to pick up exotic woods!!

Darrell

Mark,

It's now called 'Prarie Millworks'. The 'Woodshop' manager, Scott Barbauld, is now the owner. New managment since April. (815-942-5865) I thought I saw 3/4" red oak panels there.

Good luck.

Paul

Smile

Mark,

It's now called 'Prarie Millworks'. The 'Woodshop' manager, Scott Barbauld, is now the owner. New managment since April. (815-942-5865) I thought I saw 3/4" red oak panels there.

Good luck.

Paul
    Paul, Thanks for the update and contact info. I'm glad to hear that Scott is still there, and owns it no less! If the rain stops, I'll be there tomorrow to pick up a few sheets of ply (and some hardwoods).

-Mark

Do they still have a large assortment of hardwoods?

I wasn't able to make it up there on Saturday as planned (my wife had other plans) so I'll attempt it again next weekend. I would bet however that they still have the great assortment of hardwoods. In the past, he didn't carry much in the way of exotics (maybe 8-10 species) but always had a great assortment of White Oak, Red Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Pine, Butternut, Aromic Cedar, Sycamore, Maple, Birch, Poplar and some others I can't remember. He also carried a decent assortment of turning blanks...

-Mark

Yes Scott still carries a nice assortment of hardwood and sheet goods. His grand opening is the middle of November if I remember right. Jim
    Jim Shockey