Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The SMC Holiday Turning Contest - We have Winners!

My Entry!

Here's my first shot at a hat and it turned out better then I could of hoped! It's thin! Really thin! I'd say about a 16th" on average. Weighed 4.5 ozs before the band treatment. My neighbor Jane Menear did the embellishments and as you can see she's quite the crafter! It's Holly with 5 coats of semi-gloss lacquer. 13"s brim to brim and 7"s high. It fit my 6 year old daughter perfect without the pigtails! Thanks for putting this together guys! It really was alot of fun doing this one knowing it's going to a great cause! Kurt

P.S. I'd also like to thank Larry Hancock for putting such a great tutorial together! http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/email/pdf/hat.pdf

Wow, very, very, cool That will certainly hold bunch of ice cream
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Thanks Scott! I love your candy dish also! Great figure! We must of have been posting at the same time! Make sure you sign it!

I love that grain on that candy dish... very nicely done.

And I absolutely love that hat... very cool job (cute little model too )!

Is there anyway one of the mods could make this thread sticky??? ... it would make it more accessible.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Jonathon
    I like the big blank in the mustard machine behind the cutey with the hat.

Great hat.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

My vote goes for the freedom pens project. I'm quite sure they could use it

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Kobilsek
    Jonathon
    I like the big blank in the mustard machine behind the cutey with the hat.
    Is it the blank that makes the mustard machine look good... or the mustard machine that makes the blank look good ???

My choice is the Children's Hunger Fund. (Their admin percentage is only 0.4% - this means that 96 cents from every dollar goes to the cause). They provide food, shelter, and medicine for impoverished children all over the world.

I agree the Freedom Pen Project is a worthy cause (and in our own backyard - so to speak). I even have a son in the Air Force. However, if I can choose only one organization, then I would prefer to support the children (I already support the military in many other ways).

FYI -
    St. Jude's is rated at 9.1% and Ronald McDonald House is at 8.8%. Those are both pretty good percentages.

I may not be able to submit a entry (due to my shop still under construction), but I can always support this effort by bidding.

And with Kurt's entry............I will probably be offering my tools and lathe for sale ......very shortly! Jeez.........I'll never live long enough to have that level of skill........WOW! Fantastic!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Candlesticks (1st attempt)

Group Catch

This is a pair of Walnut Candlesticks turned from some glued up Walnut. Two views, front and back side. There's some light sapwood in there too. Tall one is 10.25", short one is 8.75", both are about 2.25" at base and have some brass candle holder inserts to hold a standard taper candle.

What I tried to do here is make the base and top the same with the center section shorter on one than the other. Seemed like it would be easier than it was. I had a heck of time making all the coves, beads, tapers, etc matchup. Now I know why they have duplicators and pattern lathes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 11-06-2006 at 10:08 PM.

Really nice job Curt, I think the only thing I would add is maybe a third one
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

From 1 Curt to another, very nice job! I love walnut. Where do you get the brass inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley
    Really nice job Curt, I think the only thing I would add is maybe a third one
    Funny you would say that Scott. I had wood glued up for #3 and screwed it up real bad. So, it's a 2 holder set.

Kurt, the candle inserts come from Craft Supplies..
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=041-0444

Hey... really nice looking candle sticks... I have tried turning different candle holders, but never matching ones. You did a good job on making them look the same!!

cedar snowman

Please enter this in the group tear out. I make a few of these every year for gifts, but I haven't sold anything. Snowman is 11 inches tall, close to 5 1/2 inches dia. hat, arms,pipe and nose are all removable. Looking at all the other entries, we are going to have some pretty things for our judges to look at.....thanks, doug

Picture snomantoysoldier 056.jpg

Picture snomantoysoldier 057.jpg

EDIT: Sorry folks. Doug has asked that this entry be removed from the contest. It developed some unsightly cracks that just aren't repairable. He's striving to produce a replacement.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-20-2006 at 9:55 AM. Reason: OP's request