Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The SMC Holiday Turning Contest - We have Winners!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    With my limited time..if I make something I might have to keep it for my wife's Christmas gift. I woudl hate to have to buy it back. Any way those that dont want to sell theirs could throw xx bucks into the pot. Otherwise i may have to sit on my idea and not enter it.

Just moving and having the whole shop to unpack and get set up and turn Christmas gifts just doesnt seem like its going to happen quickly.
    Starting to look that way for me too. With being in the middle of a kitchen remodel and having 4 gifts to work in... doesn't look good for me.

Corey

Ok... I turned two little things today for the contest... not much and I might turn more. Am I supposed to post pix and if so where??? Also it would be kinda nice to know where the donations are going to... when do we find out???
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Curt - Jonathan - all:

Post your projects here in this thread. I suggest that your post should look, read, and feel as if you were starting your own thread to showcase the item.

Bonus points will be awarded to the first three entries.

You may enter as many pieces as you'd like - in separate posts, of course.

And as Scott said in his thread launcher, the nominations for our intended charity will remain open for about two weeks, and right now we're just on Day 5.
    Only the Blue Roads

Entry #1

Here is my first entry: a magic wand. It is 13.5" long, probably 0.75" thick in the handle. It is made out of maple and is stained an antique reddish brown and has been given a couple coats of boiled linseed oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Entry #2

Here is my second entry: a mushroom. It stands about 5" high and is probably 2" or so in diameter. I think it is made out of western white cedar... it is actually just made out of a branch that I found. It doesn't have any finish because it is so much prettier (I think) plain white. Most other finishes I have tried turn it a yellow orange and it makes it look to much like a two by four. The recipient is more than welcome to add their own finish

Do I get double bonus points for being the first AND second contestant
    Btw, I am entering into group tearout!!!

Great entries Jonathon Rather magical I would say. A NE mushroom has to be a first. Nice going, what's next ?
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Spafford
    We need more nominations for charities... the nominations are few and diverse, it looks like.
    Hi everybody. I don't have a lathe yet, but I'm soaking up all of the information that I can until I get one. Maybe next year I'll enter the contest.

As for a charity, how about a local Jaycees chapter? I'm a member of our chapter and the neat thing is that all of the fundraising that we do, stays in the community. If you're looking to make a difference locally, that might be a good choice to consider.

I'm having a Hackmatack!

... and I can't get up!

Here's my official entry for the auction. This is a piece of native Maine Hackmatack that was a tree just yesterday. Last night some high winds took down an ugly old dead good for nothing but firewood (or turning) maple right behind the house, and it brought the hackmatack down with it.

It's about six inches tall and four inches across at the shoulders. I hadn't intended on this being a once turned item, but I got carried away before I realized how thin the walls had become. Oh well - nothing ventured.... Sanded to 600; buffed with all three compounds; photobooth; and Bob's your uncle.

curtis hackmatack 01.jpg curtis hackmatack 02.jpg curtis hackmatack 03.jpg

curtis hackmatack 04.jpg curtis hackmatack 05.jpg

Okay - Cothren. Git-r-done!
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 01-29-2007 at 1:01 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

I'd say Bob's your Uncle! That's very purty!

Is Hackmatack a real wood or is that one of those Andyisms?

Nice entry's so far. Johnathan your wands are great. Andy, that is a beautiful piece. I have never seen grain like that in maple. Is that a true maple variation? Also since you turned this wet and finished it has it cracked or warped on you since you finished it?

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller
    ... Is Hackmatack a real wood or is that one of those Andyisms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    .... Is that a true maple variation? Also since you turned this wet and finished it has it cracked or warped on you since you finished it? Corey
    Thanks guys. Nope Not an Andyism, nor a maple. Hackmatack is another name for Tamarack, which is a subspecies of Larch. Grows everywhere and is considered a nuisance tree in these parts. No cracks yet, keep them fingers crossed.
    Only the Blue Roads

Great job Andy (so far ) Now just what group are you in ?

Sorry. Group Catch.
    Only the Blue Roads

Candy Dish

Well, you turn what you got This is a highly figured piece of maple, the kind that gives ya that 3D effect from some angles. About 6 1/2 X 1 3/4. Can be used for candy or ice cream any flavor. And yes, group catch, would look Great with Andy's HF