Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a lathe

Thinking about a lathe

I know this subject has been neat to death, but I;m going to ask anyway. Thinking about this lathe:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706

Before I even go look at it in person, would I be able to buy accessories like a chuck, for it? I don't want to plop down some cash, only to find out I can't get any extras for it later on. Thanks

I have that lathe, and I would not buy it again. You can buy a basic scroll chuck and adaptor from Grizzly that will fit, or a very crappy independent jaw chuck from harbor freight, but unless you shell out some cash for having some other adaptors made by a machinist, those are your only choices for chucks. The accessories you can put on one are very limited. The spindle shaft is also solid rather than having a morse taper hole in it, so that limits your options as well. I had to get pretty creative just to be able to hold a standard pen mandrel to turn pens. The tail stock and tool rest are also poorly designed, and make accurate work difficult for some applications. IMO spend a couple extra bucks to get something with better accuracy and more options for accessories.

That's good to know. I know NOTHING about lathes. I looked at the manual for the lathe and here's what it says:
    Spindle Drive: 1" dia, 8 right hand thread
    Spindle Drive Through Hole: 3/8"
    Tailstock Spindle Through Hole: 3/8"
    Headstock Spur: Spur Center - #2 Morse Taper
    Tailstock Center: Ball Bearing Center - #2 Morse Taper

I looked at the Nova chuck and it says it will fit a 1" - 8TPI spindle. What am I missing?

That's the same lathe I have except mine says grizzly on it. A very acomplished (limey) turner on another forum says it's a great starter lathe. The 8x1 seems like a common size and I bought cheap grizzly utility chuck for $45 dollars and it works fair you just need 3 hands. with the mt2 also being very common You should be able to buy assec. that fit it also. I bought my pen mandrel form PSI and have had no problems there either

The problems I have encountered were as followed
    the headstock would tilt up when pressure was aplied by the tailstock- this was cause by the headstock locking mechinism, and I had to file the taper at the top as it was hitting the headstock well before the bottom was hitting the tapered ring at the bottom.
    next the live center and spurs are soft junk but they are cheap to replace.

I am new to turning but it seems like a good started to me also. I plan on using it til I can afford a $2000 lathe or so.

Bob

With a bit of experience with Harbor Freight tools I would pass on that lathe and go for a Jet mini. Similar price range. It is very well put together and gives ALMOST as much capacity. I like the turning tool set (HSS) from harbor freight but I think the chance of getting a lemon and having to deal with that is much greater with their machines. I know there are those out there happy with them but that is my opinion. I also used to own a Jet 1236 and I would have the same advice if you were looking at that. I don't think the 12 inch lathes are really worth getting into at this point.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Guy, I'm sending you a PM.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hallowell
    I have that lathe, and I would not buy it again. You can buy a basic scroll chuck and adaptor from Grizzly that will fit, or a very crappy independent jaw chuck from harbor freight, but unless you shell out some cash for having some other adaptors made by a machinist, those are your only choices for chucks. The accessories you can put on one are very limited. The spindle shaft is also solid rather than having a morse taper hole in it, so that limits your options as well. I had to get pretty creative just to be able to hold a standard pen mandrel to turn pens. The tail stock and tool rest are also poorly designed, and make accurate work difficult for some applications. IMO spend a couple extra bucks to get something with better accuracy and more options for accessories.
    Jason, I'm not sure where you base your information. I have a Harbor Freight 34706 lathe. I have a Oneway Talon 4-jaw scroll chuck that works beautifully with my lathe. All it needs is the 1x8 thread adapter--an adapter is necessary no matter what lathe. That chuck (and adapter)is readily available from any WWing supplier. I am also puzzled by your statement that "the spindle shaft is also solid rather than having a morse taper hole in it," which is outright incorrect. It is in fact a Morse Taper #2, with the hole running all the way through to allow the use of a tommy bar to remove the spur drive. As to accessories, this lathe will accept any accessory that has either a 1x8 threading or a MT #2. I use three different faceplates, a Jacobs chuck, the above-mentioned Talon chuck, a Sorby Stebcentre, various live centers, a MT #2 tailstock adapter to accomodate a spindle auger, and a Beall Buffing System, all of which work perfectly with the HF 34706. I also was able with only minimal trouble to upgrade the tool rest to the Sorby Modular System. There are no issues with accuracy. So, I am truly curious as to where you base what you have said about this lathe.

Guy, you can find lots of comments about this particular lathe in the SMC archives. Here is a somewhat lengthy evaluation I gave of the HF 34706 recently: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...301#post437301

I will say in all fairness that there truly are other lathes that might be better for you as a starter. The Rikon Mini is worth looking at. This month Woodcraft has it on sale, $220 I think.

Good luck with which ever way you go.

Mark

BTW, as if I had to say this, I have NO affiliation with Harbor Freight and do not in any way stand to gain or lose by their sales or lack thereof. In fact, I don't have any affiliations with anybody who sells anything woodworking-related. I also am not a "fan" of Harbor Freight. Some of their stuff is pure junk, and some is not. The 34706 is not.
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 10-16-2006 at 3:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Germaine
    I looked at the Nova chuck and it says it will fit a 1" - 8TPI spindle. What am I missing?
    I have the 34706 lathe and mine will definitely take 1"x8 or MT 2 acessories. I think Jason must be mixing this up with another model.

I've been completely pleased with mine as a starter lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hallowell
    Jason, what you're describing is not the 34706 lathe I owned. It was 1" x 8" with a standard MT#2, etc. The only "deviation" was that the tool rest post holder was made for 25mm rather than 1" and that required a little sanding of the standard 1" tool rest posts to deal with. Otherwise, it was nearly identical to the Jet 1236. Perhaps you had a different model?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the post Mark. Those were some of the questions that were floating around in this void I call a head.

I'm going over Friday (or sooner) to take a look at it and get all touchy-feely. I'll decide then. If I decide not to get it, Woodcraft is not too far away!

I'll just add a ditto. My 34706 has the standard 1x8 thread and #2MT. I have not had the problem with the headstock tilting. It is a good clone of the Jet 1236 and a good starter lathe. And, I think, on sale currently at @199.

George
    2B1ASK1

Guy, while you're at HF you might consider picking up a set of turning chisels. Be sure it's the 8 piece set made of high speed steel. It's a good starter set; being as cheap as they are you can learn how to sharpen them without the fear of somehow ruining an expensive tool at the grinder. Speaking of grinders...if you already have one, great. If you need to purchase one, consider a slow speed grinder with aluminum oxide wheels. And it's great to have a Wolverine jig to make sharpening easy.

I'm pretty good at spending your money, aren't I?

Thanks. I had already planned on getting the turning tools at HF, even if I don't get the lathe. I've been looking at the horizontal slow speed grinder that Woodcraft has on sale right now.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4866

I was thinking about the grinder, and the jig to sharpen jointer and planer knives. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Germaine
    Thanks. I had already planned on getting the turning tools at HF, even if I don't get the lathe. I've been looking at the horizontal slow speed grinder that Woodcraft has on sale right now.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4866

I was thinking about the grinder, and the jig to sharpen jointer and planer knives. Anyone have any experience with this unit?
    That would probably do a good job with jointer and planer knives, but I'd go with this one for turning tools. Same price, and right now they're including a stand.

These two grinders are like apples and oranges. It's hard to compare them because they're really made for different applications. Each has places where it will outshine the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    Jason, I'm not sure where you base your information. I have a Harbor Freight 34706 lathe. I have a Oneway Talon 4-jaw scroll chuck that works beautifully with my lathe. All it needs is the 1x8 thread adapter--an adapter is necessary no matter what lathe. That chuck (and adapter)is readily available from any WWing supplier. I am also puzzled by your statement that "the spindle shaft is also solid rather than having a morse taper hole in it," which is outright incorrect. It is in fact a Morse Taper #2, with the hole running all the way through to allow the use of a tommy bar to remove the spur drive. As to accessories, this lathe will accept any accessory that has either a 1x8 threading or a MT #2. I use three different faceplates, a Jacobs chuck, the above-mentioned Talon chuck, a Sorby Stebcentre, various live centers, a MT #2 tailstock adapter to accomodate a spindle auger, and a Beall Buffing System, all of which work perfectly with the HF 34706. I also was able with only minimal trouble to upgrade the tool rest to the Sorby Modular System. There are no issues with accuracy. So, I am truly curious as to where you base what you have said about this lathe.

Guy, you can find lots of comments about this particular lathe in the SMC archives. Here is a somewhat lengthy evaluation I gave of the HF 34706 recently: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...301#post437301

I will say in all fairness that there truly are other lathes that might be better for you as a starter. The Rikon Mini is worth looking at. This month Woodcraft has it on sale, $220 I think.

Good luck with which ever way you go.

Mark

BTW, as if I had to say this, I have NO affiliation with Harbor Freight and do not in any way stand to gain or lose by their sales or lack thereof. In fact, I don't have any affiliations with anybody who sells anything woodworking-related. I also am not a "fan" of Harbor Freight. Some of their stuff is pure junk, and some is not. The 34706 is not.
    I must have a very old one, or a frankenstein model, as mine has no through hole at all, and the spindle is a metric thread, not the 1"x8 tpi. I apologize for the incorrect info. I looked at the harbor freight website, and they do list a 1x8 spindle with a MT2 through hole. I got mine used from a yard sale, so who knows.