Thread: Shellac and wax - question

Shellac and wax - question

I've been padding Zinnser clear shellac on a small piece (1ft. x 1ft.) of walnut, which is turning out nicely after about 10 coats or so (thin coats), a nice mid-gloss sheen. Upon close inspection you can still see some lines from the padding. I hear everyone say that I should now apply wax with steel wool moistened with mineral spirits.
    1) Is it necessary to moisten the steel wool with MS?
    2) Will the wax really make the shellac look better? It looks pretty shimmery and nice without the wax. I don't want to worsen it.

Thanks !!
    Matt

wax and steel wool

Matt: I am a novice at this but I was at an all day workshop ( 9/16/2006) presented by Don Williams who is ( was?) senior conservator of the Smithsonian Institution. He had us brush on numerous coats of shellac on a board and then had us put wax on some fine steel wool (#0000) and work it in very hard into the dried shellac surface. He did the same thing to show us before we did it. No other fluids or materials. Just wax, steel wool on a shellac surface and a lot of elbow grease rubbing it in. He said it is his preferred finish. That's what he likes to do at the Smithsonian and that's what he prefers to do on other jobs . He swears by the process. If it is good enough for him and the Smithsonain it is good enough for me. I am a rookie at this, just passing on what someone with a lot of experience recommended.

thanks Gary!

appreciate the help, will try it.

The purpose if the steel wool is to abrade those fine lines you see after the padding. Wax acts as a lubricant to that process. If you add mineral spirits the wax will be "thinner" and the abrasion a small amount more aggressive.

If this doesn't end up shiny enough you could polish the shellac with an even finer abrasive such as rottenstone or super fine rubbing compound.

A different approach that might work: Moisten your rag mostly w DA and a little shellac and a drop of mineral oil and rework the area in a circular , polishing motion. This takes time but will easily blend the areas together for a more uniform appearance and ridges should dissolve or disappear. Ideally, try on scrap piece first or portion that doesn't show if possible. DA, remember is a solvent and this should accomplish your goal...
    Jerry